What's new

Port mapping for Transmission problem AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Centrifuge

I've tried Port Mapping to a single port, and Transmission is saying the port is closed. I tried Port Triggering for that port, also remains closed. Tested open ports for p2p, a web test, and it did say it was listening on that port. Restarts, still the same. FW 382. Using VPN client on router. What am I missing?

OK. I don't use Transmission myself but as far as I can see it uses UPnP to automatically open its ports. So provided that you have UPnP enabled on the router you shouldn't need to manually forward any ports. While Transmission is running you can check what ports the router is forwarding by looking at System Log > Port Forwarding.

EDIT: I've just remembered that you're using a VPN client. In which case I don't think it's possible because Transmission doesn't control the VPN endpoint.

OK. I don't use Transmission myself but as far as I can see it uses UPnP to automatically open its ports. So provided that you have UPnP enabled on the router you shouldn't need to manually forward any ports. While Transmission is running you can check what ports the router is forwarding by looking at System Log > Port Forwarding.

EDIT: I've just remembered that you're using a VPN client. In which case I don't think it's possible because Transmission doesn't control the VPN endpoint.

Bingo. Yeah UpNP is on, but turning off the VPN on the router did the trick. System log showed the port I forwarded was open. Running the VPN client on the desktop also prevents port listening. I'll have to see if running Transmission (on the router) can be forced to use the vpn using that earlier link. thanks.

Last edited:
FYI, if you're using a VPN, that VPN service has to allow port forwarding for it to work. PIA does, others do not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I agree with @Kewjoe. I use PIA and check the box to use port forwarding in their windows client. Once I connect PIA shows me the port number to enter into my bittorrent client and all is well.

I agree with @Kewjoe. I use PIA and check the box to use port forwarding in their windows client. Once I connect PIA shows me the port number to enter into my bittorrent client and all is well.
Thanks, I tried that method and it works really good. I have to connect to their Toronto server, I'm in Hawaii, but didn't seem to slow things down. Easy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!