What's new

Port not visible to port checkers, but game server behind it works?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

night_chrono

New Around Here
I have an RT-AX88U running merlin 386.1 (but this problem existed on the 384.X versions too.) I am on AT&T fiber with their BGW210-700 modem in bridge mode. I opened ports 7777:7782 for several instances of an Unreal 3 game server I run. People can connect and play without issue. The issue I am having is every port scanner I have tried says the ports are closed. I want to use uptime robot to monitor my server, but it doesn't see the ports either. Port scanners see other ports I have open (like 27015 for my sourcemod server) but none of the ones in the range of my unreal server.

I have "Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN" enabled in the firewall settings.

I have no idea if this is a merlin issue, an asus issue, or some other network topology issue that I can't find. I am hoping someone here has an idea.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I think the Unreal ports are UDP and port checkers only check TCP.
I just tried openport.net's udp port checker (it was the first one that came up for me for udp port checker in google) and it still says it is closed. The wikipedia page of ports claims that unreal is tcp and udp both.

I just tried openport.net's udp port checker (it was the first one that came up for me for udp port checker in google) and it still says it is closed.
I've tried that and it's never return anything but "closed" in my experience.

The wikipedia page of ports claims that unreal is tcp and udp both.
Yes, but what port types have your forwarded on the router, you didn't say.

Last edited:
I've tried that and it's never return anything but "closed" in my experience.

Yes, but what port types have your forwarded on the router, you didn't say.
My mistake. I have both tcp and udp opened on my router.

I tried "check-host.net" as another random checker from my google results and it said "open or filtered".

So it is open and everything I have been trying up until this point has been tcp and unreal runs on udp? That would explain it but leaves me with no option on the free tier of uptime robot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!