What's new

Port redirection on lan side - ¿loopback?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andresmorago

Hello

I have a media resource which is locally accessible by entering
10.0.0.2:8096
Or
Nas01.yyyyy.com:8096

on my dnsmasq.conf.add i have this line
Code:
address=/nas01.yyyyy.com/10.0.0.2

I have a port forward rule so I can remotely access it
Nas01.yyyyy.com:50000

locally, Nas01.yyyyy.com:50000 will not reach my resource since that port is not open on tha lan side.

is there something i could do on the router side so I can stick use the 50000 port to access my lan server on port 8096 ?

thanks

I think you are asking about Nat loop back or hair pin Nat that feature was removed ages ago, or atlest the toggle option.

If it's there I haven't been able to get it to work myself.

Last edited:
If you remove your dnsmasq entry you should be able to access nas01.yyyyy.com:50000 using the existing port forwarding rule.

nas01.yyyyy.com:8096 won't work anymore from the LAN side without setting up another port forwarding rule for port 8096 or adding it to the port range of the existing rule. If you didn't want port 8096 accessible from the internet you would have to use a separate rule with a restriction on the source address.

If you remove your dnsmasq entry you should be able to access nas01.yyyyy.com:50000 using the existing port forwarding rule.

nas01.yyyyy.com:8096 won't work anymore from the LAN side without setting up another port forwarding rule for port 8096 or adding it to the port range of the existing rule. If you didn't want port 8096 accessible from the internet you would have to use a separate rule with a restriction on the source address.
@ColinTaylor but if I remove that entry from my dnsmasq file, won’t I lose the ability to reach 10.0.0.2 by typing nas01.yyyyy.com from lan ?

@ColinTaylor but if I remove that entry from my dnsmasq file, won’t I lose the ability to reach 10.0.0.2 by typing nas01.yyyyy.com from lan ?
Try it and find out.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant "nas01.yyyyy.com:8096" which I had already explained. Yes, the name "nas01.yyyyy.com" on your LAN would now resolve to your router's public IP address instead of 10.0.0.2. There's no way to avoid this if you want to do port redirection other than running a proxy server on 10.0.0.2.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!