What's new

Possible? ... ASUS 'mesh' like Orbi but using ethernet backbone?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

Merlin & team,
Orbi and other mesh routers are getting popular a,d make sense for those without ethernet runs.

But for those of us with Ethernet in a few locations around the home... what about adding features to the ASUS firmware to link multiple ASUS routers together, with a single SSID. This would create a mesh better than others with far less expensive ASUS devices?

I have 2 68Us (ethernet between them) right now, and have tried using the same, and different, SSIDs. The result is so-so. Where the radios overlap strongly, my phone (S7 edge) switches too often or has difficulty deciding which to use. I even tried apps made for to do the 'logic' and they are just not very good as they don't allow 5GHz to be weighted enough to stay on those if 2.4G is strong.

So, is it possible to have some fw code like the Orbi does to 'push' connections to the best AP and keep a single SSID across say 2 or 3 routers?

it has the WDS or bridge but I don't think it's a real mesh, and it's wireless, and there is no security.

it has the WDS or bridge but I don't think it's a real mesh, and it's wireless, and there is no security.
I understand how things work today with them... I'm asking the devs if it's possible to add code to make these routers use ethernet as the backbone for the mesh/repeater functionality

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

An Ethernet backbone = Access Point mode simply.

Where the radios overlap strongly, my phone (S7 edge) switches too often or has difficulty deciding which to use.

then the logic is move them further apart , even mesh units will cause the same effect if the overlap is to great

So, is it possible to have some fw code like the Orbi does to 'push' connections to the best AP and keep a single SSID across say 2 or 3 routers?

thats not what orbi does , have a read of the sticky clients thread and how it works , the client still does 100% of the roaming decision so you have to ensure your ap's are placed in a manner that will assist in the roaming process not hinder it

with a asus in router mode and an asus in ap mode you can set different names for the 5 gig and 2.4 gig and just connect to the 5 gig only in your client devices , they will then only roam between the 5 gig devices eg if saved select forget on your client devices for the 2.4 gig

This entire "Mesh" system is not a new thing in a way. They are either shared backhaul or dedicated backhaul. For Asus, they have wireless repeater mode which works like a shared backhaul for the few routers that has it enabled. this results in a reduced bandwidth, just the same as the mesh systems designed like that. The top of the line systems have a dedicated backhaul...meaning they are essentially tri-bank (2.4, 5G low, 5G high), & use one of the two 5G to connect the routers. This won't experience a slowdown, though your max BW will be limited to the 2x2/3x3/or 4x4 design. Furthermore, if I understand this correctly, if there is a satellite connected to a satellite, it could reduce that backhaul just the same way as a shared backhaul would be. Netgear's Orbi isn't really a Mesh as everything has to connect to the master. This still doesn't resolve the backhaul speed reduction on 3 satellites.

The speed reduction isn't so important to most, unless you're like me & use a usb hard drive to save your data across an internal network, much like a professional org but without switches. The most advanced designs I can see in the further future would be a semi-mesh where the system has 4 radios, two of those as dedicated backhauls to avoid secondary satellite speed reduction. That would really only be good for a business. I'm personally looking for something that will push about 90MBps across the network (720Mbps) to allow for full speed on my DAS. My network's repeater actually clocks at 700ish max, but that's split across multiple devices. Furthermore, my DAS is connected to my primary router & despite USB 3.0, it's slow across wifi 9MBps across one wall & 40 feet on 5G & 5MBps from the repeater. My old server can still access that around 40MBps via LAN, but wifi is crippled to my laptop's card.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!