What's new

Possible bad order of DNS resolvers supplied by DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hardcorefs

New Around Here
on RT-ac87U

merlin FW 384.5

on LAN
DHCP server

DNS and wins server setting...
this section appears poorly organized

we can set :
DNS server 1
DNS server 2
then it goes on:
Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS

this would appear to be incorrect if we want to allow domain names that are local to be resolved.

This area needs more description to make it CLEAR that "local" name resolution will not work
if the client is supplied with OTHER DNS resolvers.

Last edited:
It's always seemed perfectly clear to me. But then I probably just assume that if you're the kind of person that would be changing these settings you're also technically competent enough to understand the implications. (2 cents)

It's always seemed perfectly clear to me. But then I probably just assume that if you're the kind of person that would be changing these settings you're also technically competent enough to understand the implications. (2 cents)

Gosh.... you're so clever and so arrogant.
They are mutually exclusive , just you have not seen it yet.

Oops.:oops: Didn't mean to be rude, but I realise now it sounded that way. (BTW When I said "if you're the kind of person" I wasn't referring to you personally but people in general.) Apologies.

They are mutually exclusive , just you have not seen it yet.

They are not really mutually exclusive. Along with the DHCP response the client device gets a list of DNS servers: server1, server2, router IP.

How to query those servers is entirely up to the DNS client on the device, and between different implementations there are different behaviours. Most of the time the clients don’t query all the servers all the time; they might pick a favoured server and stick to it. I *think* most try sequentially hence you see the suggestion on the wiki saying to “set DNS Server 1” to router address (which is wrong but works).

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-domains-with-dnsmasq#adjust-dhcp-server-options

For your purposes and most cases, set the two DNS servers on the WAN page, and leave the DNS settings on the LAN-DHCP page default/blank.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!