What's new

possible bug in AiMesh firmware (AC68u): PPPoE and custom DNS not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
hi,

In the process of moving from AsusWRT-Merlin to AiMesh, I may have discoverd a possible bug. I seek you help/confirmation:

I previously was using AC68U (converted from TM-1900) with various version of Merlin firmware with great success. I am on DLS fibre and use my Asus router to establish the PPPoE connection. I also maintain 2 pihole DNS servers at home. I maintain a small list of blacklisted sited. Using Merlin, everything works well.

I bought two another TM-1900 and converted them to AC68U with aimesh CFE and installed the latest aimesh firmware (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_20308-gead790e). Setting one up as aimesh router and the other as node, so far so good.

However, when I swapped my merlin router with aimesh router, I cannot maintain PPPoE connection while using my pihole server as DNS. Using ISP's DNS (obtained automatically with PPPoE), everything works fine. However, if I specify my own DNS IP (192.168.xxx.xxx), I would get an error message about my PPPoE "account or password invalid".

I have spent the last few hours repeating this bug.

can anyone else verify/reproduce this problem? Is there a workaround?

thanks,