What's new

Possible problem with youtube? I am not sure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LaMpiR

Regular Contributor
Hi good people.

I have AX88U and a 250/50 Mbps cable connection, but I have noticed that on all devices in my home, when I start playing a video, youtube drops the quality down to 480p/720p. Samsung S21, iPhone 11 Pro, Fire TV 4K, windows pc.
I haven'c changed any settings on my router(as far as I know), but when I use my mobile data on my phone, I don't have that problem. When I use my WIFI6 connection, it happens.

Could it by that I have messed some settings up? Would appreciate any help.

I have installed yesterday the latest software, but the problem was here before.
I have skynet, connmon, spdMerlin.

Is spdMerlin running during your normal use hours?

Set an alarm to match your spdMerlin schedule, don't touch anything until it's done. It's the most bandwidth hungry "client" on your network.

Set an alarm to match your spdMerlin schedule, don't touch anything until it's done. It's the most bandwidth hungry "client" on your network.
I have changed the settings to every 6 hours, so I hope that it won't make that much difference.

Much better. It impacts not only your Internet experience, but others too. Residential ISP lines are shared, not guaranteed.

I also have some trouble with Youtube on a 500/500 fth line. Sometimes it slow down with only 480p and lacking videos on all devices. I think the Youtube servers are quite bussy here as in the middle of the night and in the early morning the videos load verry fast, even 4k HDR. It also effects only Youtube, other apps and video services are fast as lightning on a Ax88u running merlin

The thing is, it lowers the quality automatically, but when I manually select even 4K, it works without any problems. I would expect it to lower the quality once more when I manually select the best one, but it doesn't. So I am not sure that it's their servers. Additionally, I don't have this problem on my 5G connection when using my phone.

It could be your isp as well, I personally know some isp which lower streaming bandwidth to save resources, this is especially true since you mention that manual works fine. Does this happen all the time or during peak periods?

According to spdMerlin, my full bandwidth was always available. I didn't have drops more then 5% ever. It happens that my ping goes from 8ms to 9-10-11ms sometimes, but I consider that still pretty good.

I don't know, I would say that it is happening in some time period. It happenes through the day.

No other clients, but my yt is downgrading from 1080p to 720p. No problems when switching to 4k, works and loads excellent.

Speedtest result for WAN

Bandwidth - Download: 261.08 Mbps (data used: 326.1 MB ) - Upload: 54.15 Mbps (data used: 67.2 MB )
Quality - Latency: 7.24 ms (2.46 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%

When I open 3x 4k streams, its pulling around 40Mbps with max of 60Mbps down, no other significant traffic on network prior to this.

Rather than running SpdMerlin all the time and eating up your bandwidth, would running Conmon work instead?
Just as an example:
ping.png

Those lag spikes you see are at roughly 4am everyday, when my router does run SpdMerlin on my lowly 50Mbps VDSL2 connection!

spdMerling as well as conmon are working only 4x per day. Problem is still here. Don't have any problems with netflix or any other streaming service.
Switched to Cake QOS, but experiencing the problem nonetheless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!