What's new

Possible to have 2 switches between 2 ASUS router ethernet backhaul?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ultrakiasu

New Around Here
I had read that few mesh routers does not support having switch(es) between their ethernet backhaul connect.
I owned a Asus AX3000 in my living room, and a RT-AC88U in my bedroom. Both connected via a direct ethernet backhaul.
I had intention to revamp my Synology NAS setup, and shift my desktop from my study room to bedroom.

My plan is 10Gbe connectivity, eventually.
Synology 4-port LACP (or a USB3-powered 2.5Gbe dongle) to first managed switch in living room.
Bedroom Desktop with a 10Gbe NIC to a second (un)managed switch in bedroom.
Wired with CAT6.

Will my AiMesh setup fail if the ethernet backhaul across two switches?

It will be some time before I could afford (two) latest 10Gbe ASUS Aimesh-capable router.

Do not use managed switches between mesh nodes.

I had read that few mesh routers does not support having switch(es) between their ethernet backhaul connect.
I owned a Asus AX3000 in my living room, and a RT-AC88U in my bedroom. Both connected via a direct ethernet backhaul.
I had intention to revamp my Synology NAS setup, and shift my desktop from my study room to bedroom.

My plan is 10Gbe connectivity, eventually.
Synology 4-port LACP (or a USB3-powered 2.5Gbe dongle) to first managed switch in living room.
Bedroom Desktop with a 10Gbe NIC to a second (un)managed switch in bedroom.
Wired with CAT6.

Will my AiMesh setup fail if the ethernet backhaul across two switches?

It will be some time before I could afford (two) latest 10Gbe ASUS Aimesh-capable router.
It works fine. However 10gb only works with 10gb support devices. If you use 1gb device between 10gb devices it works as 1gb.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!