What's new

Possible to run CRON job to enable/disable network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaimi

New Around Here
Instead of messing around with the parental controls, which never seem to work for me (blocking machines they shouldn't, wrong times, etc), would it be possible to use this version of firmware (asuswrt-merlin), and create a CRON job that could enable and disable a specific SSID on the router? For example, I could give the kids the standard wifi SSID & pw, and keep the 5G one for me and my wife, and turn off the standard one at 10pm, and turn it back on at 6?

Have you tried checking under Wireless - Professional?

You have two settings there:

-Frequency - select the SSID you want to enable at specific time

-Enable wireless scheduler - enable the scheduler and fill in the desired times and days you want the SSID to be enabled

Last edited:
Indeed it is a trivial matter to set up a cron script on /jffs/, but to control internet access, it depends how robust you wish the solution to be and how much you trust the kids not to use the internet when they are not supposed to.

e.g. if the 2.4 SSID/Wireless isn't visible, what's there to stop the kids from rebooting the router as that is usually the logical thing to do, in which case the cron scripts are now ineffective.

Assuming the kids would never be able to reboot the router, then there are several options for the cron scripts..

1. If the devices used by the kids have static DHCP addresses then a route command could be explicity applied to block say port 80/443 etc. outbound from their devices.

2. Simply 'temporarily' change the 2.4 SSID password (see nvram get | grwp wpa_psk)

Both of the above methods may not require you to turn-off the 2.4 Radio which hopefully should leave the kids 'baffled' ;-)

Merlin's Wiki has cron examples for LED on/off, and the 'service restart_wireless' has been discussed many times in the forum although setting 'wl_radio=0' may not be sufficient by itself?

Regards,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!