What's new

Possible USB drive issues on RT-AX88U??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roboots21

Regular Contributor
Good day folks. A week or so ago, I started noticing some errors on my AX88U, with Merlin FW 384.18, and now same issues with the .19 beta. I've taken an excerpt from the system log and it appears to stem around something with the USB EXT4 formatted drive I'm using. I wanted to share what I'm seeing and get some thoughts from folks. Any assistance would be great. I have a spare drive I can reformat/use pretty easily, but before I go doing that, thought I'd ask! I've attached my system log, but added an excerpt of the start of it below .. Thanks in advance!

Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: +++++ BRCM skipping port_feat_c_connection for warm reset
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs warning (device sdc1): ext4_end_bio:332: I/O error -5 writing to inode 30933416 (offset 0 size 0 starting block 14451)
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 14450
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: JBD2: Detected IO errors while flushing file data on sdc1-8
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: Aborting journal on device sdc1-8.
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: JBD2: Error -5 detected when updating journal superblock for sdc1-8.
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdc1): ext4_find_entry:1461: inode #30932993: comm hotplug: reading directory lblock 0
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdc1): ext4_find_entry:1461: inode #30932993: comm find: reading directory lblock 0
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdc1): ext4_journal_check_start:56: Detected aborted journal
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc1): Remounting filesystem read-only
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------

Attachments

• AX88U_SysLog.txt
    16 KB · Views: 124
Good day folks. A week or so ago, I started noticing some errors on my AX88U, with Merlin FW 384.18, and now same issues with the .19 beta. I've taken an excerpt from the system log and it appears to stem around something with the USB EXT4 formatted drive I'm using. I wanted to share what I'm seeing and get some thoughts from folks. Any assistance would be great. I have a spare drive I can reformat/use pretty easily, but before I go doing that, thought I'd ask! I've attached my system log, but added an excerpt of the start of it below .. Thanks in advance!

Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: +++++ BRCM skipping port_feat_c_connection for warm reset
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs warning (device sdc1): ext4_end_bio:332: I/O error -5 writing to inode 30933416 (offset 0 size 0 starting block 14451)
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 14450
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: JBD2: Detected IO errors while flushing file data on sdc1-8
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: Aborting journal on device sdc1-8.
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: JBD2: Error -5 detected when updating journal superblock for sdc1-8.
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdc1): ext4_find_entry:1461: inode #30932993: comm hotplug: reading directory lblock 0
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdc1): ext4_find_entry:1461: inode #30932993: comm find: reading directory lblock 0
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdc1): ext4_journal_check_start:56: Detected aborted journal
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc1): Remounting filesystem read-only
Aug 4 08:31:51 kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------

This won't help you directly, but as I see it, attached storage should just work 100% of the time without any funny business. In my experience, that is not the case for router-attached storage. Something is always upsetting it, so I'd avoid it.

OE

This won't help you directly, but as I see it, attached storage should just work 100% of the time without any funny business. In my experience, that is not the case for router-attached storage. Something is always upsetting it, so I'd avoid it.

OE

This is helpful though, as perhaps I should move to an ethernet attached NAS. That being the case though, can the NAS be used as necessary for some third party scripts? Or would I still need the router attached USB device for that?

This is helpful though, as perhaps I should move to an ethernet attached NAS. That being the case though, can the NAS be used as necessary for some third party scripts? Or would I still need the router attached USB device for that?

May need the router-attached storage for router-based scripts... would seem tidy, but I'm not experienced with this. I read here that some use a USB flash drive to expand router-ware storage.

OE

AFAIK most of the standard scripts either run from jffs or expect to be located on a router attached USB device. For those that need to make use of a swap file, the USB device is pretty much essential.

There have been numerous discussions in respect of the reliability of USB flash devices as well as problems on some devices with using USB 3.0 rather than 2.0.

While I do not know if you are using a USB flash drive or a USB connected flash device, one fairly consistent view is that you will get better reliability (and speed) using a SSD drive connected via USB to the router. I swapped out my Cruzer Blade for an SSD drive a couple of months back and it all seems to be much more stable -assuming that this is not just a placebo effect :)

Been using a USB flash drive for a short while for scripts. My first drive was just a USB drive I had around the house, noticed it died only after a few weeks of usage, thought old age, replaced with a new micros as in a USB adapter that is fairly new, that died shortly after. I’ve noticed they were running very hot, almost unbearable to touch. I’m now using another new USB flash drive that I’ve placed between two metal to dissipate the heat and it’s been about 1 month and I have no issue. I think it is the heat that might be causing issue. @archiel how is it running on a ssd in terms of heat?

Been using a USB flash drive for a short while for scripts. My first drive was just a USB drive I had around the house, noticed it died only after a few weeks of usage, thought old age, replaced with a new micros as in a USB adapter that is fairly new, that died shortly after. I’ve noticed they were running very hot, almost unbearable to touch. I’m now using another new USB flash drive that I’ve placed between two metal to dissipate the heat and it’s been about 1 month and I have no issue. I think it is the heat that might be causing issue. @archiel how is it running on a ssd in terms of heat?
Moderately warm at the drive container connection (using a UGreen container) but nowhere near as hot as the USB flash drive it replaced. The SSD itself is not at all warm.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!