What's new

Post Reset DHCP Reservation Restore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weblee2407

Regular Contributor
I don’t mind a factory reset because I have a little process to recover most of my settings. In order to have a life past ‘home IT guy’ I use dhcp reservations to ease my troubleshooting as we have 32 devices always on and about 37 when everything is in use. Does anyone have a process to backup and then restore dhcp reservations?
setting so many devices is a big time hole.

What router? What firmware version?

DHCP reservations are stored in a file in some of the newer models, so you can just backup and restore that file as needed.

Older models will require to go through the nvram userspace tool, which may have length limitations however.

Does anyone have a process to backup and then restore dhcp reservations?
Yes. See the YazDHCP add-on.

Geez I new that!
ASUS Gt-ax6000 Merlin 386.7_2

Well I can reset without scheduling now that I have YazDHCP. Donation coming for sure! This is the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

DHCP reservations are stored in a file in some of the newer models, so you can just backup and restore that file as needed.
In that case, you can copy the content of /jffs/nvram/dhcp_staticlist .
For my RT-AC86U (currently on 386.7_2), after a reset, I've been manually setting the dhcp_staticlist and custom_clientlist nvram variables with saved strings, committing, and rebooting.

May I ask whether restoring the corresponding /jffs/nvram files instead, as described above, also requires a reboot? Is there a preferred method?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
May I ask whether restoring the corresponding /jffs/nvram files instead, as described above, also requires a reboot? Is there a preferred method?
No need to reboot. For DHCP reservations, simplest method is to copy the file, then go to the DHCP staticlist page, and hit apply to trigger a dnsmasq restart. You could also issue a "restart service_dnsmasq" command. Note that already connected devices won't get a new lease until theirs expire, or you force them to reconnect.

Sometimes their order of commands can be a real headache, especially when managing a network of multiple different systems.
This service restart_dnsmasq is for Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin

Is it still the case that with my ASUS RT-AX86U Pro, I would need to save and restore the following files after a full factory reset if not using YazDHCP?

Saving and restoring manually-assigned DHCP clients.jpg

Also, which is the better method to use?

Last edited: