1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Potentially supid question, but just want to be sure I haven;t been hacked...

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by JimbobJay, Jun 18, 2018.

1. JimbobJay

JimbobJay Occasional Visitor

Hi. I just installed Entware on my Asus-Merlin router, and one of the terminal outputs as it installed caught my eye.

Code:
    Configuring locales.
    Entware uses separate locale-archive file independent from main system
    Creating locale archive - /opt/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive
    Adding en_EN.UTF-8
    Adding ru_RU.UTF-8
    I have never used the Russian language on my router, nor had it set as Russia in any kind of locale settings. So is there a reason why Russian would be generated on the locales?

What with the all the recent press coverage of VPNFilter and the talk of it possibly coming from Russia, it is a little worrisome to see the RU locale pop-up when I, nor the router, have anything to do with Russia.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. agilani

agilani Senior Member

which makes one always wonder,"should i compile from source or use a repo" :)

5. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

No one has time to compile all the software they use.

A good first step is to understand where and who is building the binaries you’re using though.

6. JimbobJay

JimbobJay Occasional Visitor

Thanks. You're right. I should have done more investigating before panicking, and I should definitely be more aware of what I'm downloading and installing, and where from. I can only say that it was 01.30 in the morning when I installed entware and made my post, and I was pretty tired, and what will all the recent stuff in the news and then seeing ru pop up seemingly randomly, I just kind of panicked :oops:

martinr likes this.
  7. martinr

martinr Very Senior Member

You did the right thing; never assume: check.

And always better safe than sorry.

jerry6 likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!