What's new

Power adapter reliability of a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yukit

Occasional Visitor
My Netgear GS108 switch's power adapter is flaking. That is what I suspect, but it could be the switch itself. I had another ProSafe power adapter fail before in a similar way.

The switch is still under warranty so I would get a replacement eventually, but I am thinking I should get a new 16-port switch. Is any brand's power adapter known to be more reliable than Netgear?

I suppose network switches are becoming commodity items. I may just grab a cheapest switch I can find at Fry's, get a new one when it fails.

are you sure it's the power adapter (wall wart) vs. the switch's regulator or capacitors? The latter are notorious for failing.

are you sure it's the power adapter (wall wart) vs. the switch's regulator or capacitors? The latter are notorious for failing.
Now that I scanned the forum & interweb, I am not so sure the problem is the power adapter. I have had two power adapters replaced for my ProSafe devices before (FWAG wireless router & 4-port switch) on warranty before, so I just assumed the issue on the GS108 is the adapter again.

Unfortunately, I don't have a similar power adapter to check to make sure the switch still works. I am still waiting to hear back from Netgear support to find out when I expect a replacement. At least I still have wireless access to the interweb. when I lost power to the FWAG router, I ended up getting a cheap wireless router while waiting to get a replacement in the mail.

I am actually thinking that this is a good opportunity to consolidate GS108, DLink 5-port & router ports on WNDR3700 to a single 16-port switch. I was just reading a few articles on SNB for benefits of managed switch for my needs ;)

Follow up to my GS108

I had to talk to Netgear's tech support & RMA departments a few times. They could definitely streamline the handoffs from one department to another.

I got an RMA for the main unit since the power adapter's warranty was expired. I chose a slow swap method since I had old switches I could use while waiting for a new switch.

They sent me the same blue main unit (or another unit with the same serial number) with a new power adapter. It works. Kudos to Netgear support.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!