What's new

Powerline Ethernet issues cross-phases?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
In the US, common home power has two "phases". Historically, X10 which is just 100KHz, has difficulty coupling across the two phases unless you add an X10 signal-specific phase bridge/coupler, usually inside the breaker box. Some electrical code issues doing this.

Do the ethernet powerline devices have the same issue? Of course, the frequencies are much higher, and OFDM, but the attenuation across phases might still be an issue.

The symptom is that if unit A is in an outlet wired to phase A, then the signal at outlets on phase B are much weaker. This might yield lower data rates or reliability issues.

I've been using MoCA (IP over coax) - but that works only if the coax is where you need it to be!

Last edited:
I wonder why? There's no decent signal path, and X10 PLC is famous for needed an added phase bridge.

I wonder why? There's no decent signal path, and X10 PLC is famous for needed an added phase bridge.
HomePlug has not had a problem with working across phases for a few generations now. It uses both conducted and radiated signals.

See this Intellon Whitepaper.

Last edited: