What's new

Powerline or Mesh for me

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cloudbuster

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Well I basically want to be able to transfer faster than the actual 4mb I am getting right now between devices.
I do have 1gb fiber internet but I want to transfer faster locally

The main wifi router is about 30-40FT from the PC and nvidia shield with USB HDD.

The devices are not in the same circuit breaker, there are two power splitter and 1 of them is a higher end furman 8d in the room with the PC and shield.
there about 2 wall / drywall between the wifi and devices

Now I like the idea I could connect the PC, X Box or shield to the powerline ethernet.

what you guys suggest a long with a model number if possible

powerline or mesh?

Thanks.

forget mesh.

AV2 spec for ethernet over power or whatever is more current on the selector / review here.
As long as you don't have breakers with Arc Fault detection, it will give you a better rate than what you have.

If you do have available RG6 coax, then MOCA2 bonded will beat anything except Cat5E or 6 ethernet cable.
Who is your fiber ISP ?

Do you have access through an attic ?
If so, you could run an ethernet or coax drop between the locations and add an AP or a hardwired connection or both.
Alarm installers will do the run for you for a reasonable price and they have the techniques to do it.

If you can get an ethernet cable to the attic and then over to the ceiling somewhere close to mount an AP, you could use a POE based AP and a third party power injector at the router end to make it work.
But if you are going that far, just extend the drop down inside a nearby wall and terminate in a box
Lot's of possibilities.

No coax outlets/connectivity?
I have but not in the media room. all other room in the house have coax.
Does MoCA work even when you are sending power over the coax to the amplifier?

forget mesh.

AV2 spec for ethernet over power or whatever is more current on the selector / review here.
As long as you don't have breakers with Arc Fault detection, it will give you a better rate than what you have.

If you do have available RG6 coax, then MOCA2 bonded will beat anything except Cat5E or 6 ethernet cable.
Who is your fiber ISP ?

Do you have access through an attic ?
If so, you could run an ethernet or coax drop between the locations and add an AP or a hardwired connection or both.
Alarm installers will do the run for you for a reasonable price and they have the techniques to do it.

If you can get an ethernet cable to the attic and then over to the ceiling somewhere close to mount an AP, you could use a POE based AP and a third party power injector at the router end to make it work.
But if you are going that far, just extend the drop down inside a nearby wall and terminate in a box
Lot's of possibilities.

The past few days I been reading how good the Orbi is I was about to order it this weekend then you mention to forget mesh.
I have not looked to see if I have breakers with Arc Fault detection, I would check today.
ISP ATT fiber for now but once the contract end I would go back to cable 100mb to save $.

I do have access to the attic but I was looking for a clean plug and play installation not having to fish wire on the wall plus the wall have the fire block so getting the wire low would be impossible without major hole on the drywall.

Now I been thinking of ordering the Orbi and a AV2 kit and test wich one provide faster transfer speed between the PC and NVidia shield.
I could connect them to the satellite via Ethernet.

Is the Tp-Link still the top option for powerline adapters?
I also saw their new Deco mesh wifi powerline version but it seem is not out yet.
But I think that one provide less speed over powerline https://www.tp-link.com/fi/products/details/cat-5700_Deco-P7.html

confused on the tp link 8630 have two version or the 8030 kit.
the 9000 series only come with two Ethernet ports.

488e7350f554dc210afda9740ebca2ca.jpg

Those are the one, are those compatible with the powerlines?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

It's not quite as simple as that. AFCI breakers are more likely to be an issue than non-AFCI but some are OK and some are not. Only way to find out for sure is to test them yourself. Buy from somebody with a good return policy and check it out. Make sure you are using the latest gen products

Yes - if you cross circuits - AFCI breakers are going to be a challenge with powerline...

Used to be that ground-fault interruption benefited bathrooms and the kitchen, but many areas have mandated AFCI breakers for the whole home - it's safety things, and electrical CODE...

Yea it seem that all the room have them now, the only one not Having them are the big appliances.

I guess time to look for a mesh setup that would allow me Ethernet connection as well.

So the satellite would connect to the main by a separate channel and then I connect the PC and shield to it by Ethernet.

I’m interested in the Deco M9 plus but seem is to new.
Also the Orbi but i read is been disconnecting randomly don’t know if that been fixed.

I think I could return anything to amazon just pay shipping right.

Thanks.

when you get cable, ask them to run a drop to the media room to locate the modem. Or have an alarm installer make the run for you, slightly cheaper. Find one that has done RG6 installs so they understand the bending limitations and termination.
Digital cable is likely to be running MOCA2 or is easily compatible. you will need a MOCA2 block to prevent sending packets up their network.

since you said you have cable in all rooms but the media room, do you have it one the opposite side of one of the media room walls ? That would be a simple modification or even splitter jump to the back side of the wall in a new wall plate box. No fire stops to mess with.

No coax outlets/connectivity?
I have but not in the media room. all other room in the house have coax.
Does MoCA work even when you are sending power over the coax to the amplifier?
Yes, MoCA can coexist on a coax line where power is being fed to an amplifier, the same as TV signals.

But for the one room it sounds like MoCA could provide a good wired backbone for your home network; still, MoCA may be able to fill most of your needs and could also help facilitate better placement of a Powerline or wireless access point to enable better communication with the media room. (The access point device doesn’t *have* to be installed at the router location.)

That said, you’d want to review the coax hierarchy and the connecting components (amp, splitters) for MoCA compatibility ... and optimization.

Thanks guys,

The media room is all the way to the front of the house 1 wall there the garage the other the outside wall and the other the pantry it does not reside opposite to a room with coax sadly.

That why I was looking at a power line option or mesh with Ethernet capability.

Yesterday I connected the extra ASUS router as a bridge or AP can’t remember the setting and I hardwired the PC and shield to it and I was getting 45-50mb transfer speed a little better than the 3mb I was getting WiFi but that still slow for Ethernet 45-50mb wonder why that slow.

Is it a single story home? (Curious if there might be a room directly or nearly above the media room.)

Yesterday I connected the extra ASUS router as a bridge or AP can’t remember the setting and I hardwired the PC and shield to it and I was getting 45-50mb transfer speed a little better than the 3mb I was getting WiFi but that still slow for Ethernet 45-50mb wonder why that slow.
That *would* be slow for an Ethernet connection, but you still have a Wi-Fi connection, effectively, at least back to the main router and wireless access point; you’re just relying on a different device to make the wireless connection. If you stick with this approach, you *will* want to confirm that the “extra ASUS” router is configured simply as a wireless bridge/adapter, rather than as a wireless extender, to achieve the best possible throughput.

And as suggested up-thread, if the media room is getting less throughput than desired between the main wireless access point and the (“extra ASUS”) wireless bridge, one option is to locate an additional wireless access point in a more optimal location relative to the media room, shortening the distance that the signal has to travel to reach the media room’s wireless bridge. The use of an optimally-located, dedicated access point for servicing the media room’s wireless bridge could also allow for connecting via the higher bandwidth 5 GHz band.

The challenge is getting the additional access point wired back to the router, which is where MoCA can help ... in the absence of an Ethernet connection. So, how far away from the media room is your main router? And how far away from the media room is the nearest coax wall outlet? Is the coax outlet’s distance and obstacle difference significant enough that locating an access point at that location would likely significantly boost the media room wireless bridge’s throughput?

p.s. Note that all of the above also applies to Powerline, were you to explore that option. If your power circuits make a solid Powerline connection between the media room and the router location problematic, MoCA (in lieu of an Ethernet connection) could possibly be leveraged to locate the Powerline access point at a location providing a better connection to the media room’s Powerline adapter.