What's new

Powerline or Wireless Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

punkinduster

Regular Contributor
Which would probably do the job better with respect to speed and latency?

I have a multi story house with wired and wireless devices all over. I was thinking of using a Powerline connection from my upstairs router to an access point downstairs to improve wireless signal strength downstairs.

I also thought about using a wireless bridge between floors and then just plug an access point into it. I have an older router laying around and don't want to run cat5 between floors.

I would use an Asus RT-AC66 for the bridge.

Is one better than the other?

Personally, I've had better luck with wireless bridges. A good part of this is that my home has arc-fault circuit interrupters that effectively block the PowerLine communications. In a previous home built during the 90s, the PowerLine adapters were extremely reliable, which is not the case today.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure what kind of issues I would have connecting AC and N and G devices wireless to an access point that was connected to a wireless bridge. I might glow in the dark after all this. I'm assuming I would have to use different channels for the access point to not interfere with the wireless router upstairs.

I wasn't sure what kind of issues I would have connecting AC and N and G devices wireless to an access point that was connected to a wireless bridge. I might glow in the dark after all this. I'm assuming I would have to use different channels for the access point to not interfere with the wireless router upstairs.
I use the Linksys PLEK500 Kit when I can because it's been far more reliable than wireless bridging in my experience.