What's new

Powerline WiFi Range Extender?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldram

Regular Contributor
All,

I'm looking to add to my existing TP Link poweline set up with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LEFYTMK/?tag=snbforums-20

I have a spot in my apartment where the WiFi is weak and drops out, so I figure this would be the perfect solution. Does anyone have any experience with it? All I have to do is plug this in and it will connect to my existing Powerline setup right? It's also TP Link brand. Thanks!

Yes, it should be pretty much plug and go. But your powerline adapter needs to be AV500. If it is HomePlug AV2, it won't play well with AV500.

This review gives you some idea of what powerline backhaul can do for wireless extension.

Follow up question; I have a wireless AC router and some AC compatible devices. Will this extender only update the range on devices that run on N and older? If so, is there an extender that will carry wireless AC as well?

11ac is backward compatible to N. I'd just buy the set because it uses HomePlug AV2, which won't play well with AV500.

11ac is backward compatible to N. I'd just buy the set because it uses HomePlug AV2, which won't play well with AV500.
Sorry, last, last one. I found this guy which is AV500 compatible, is dual band and 11ac compatible. What if I just got the Wireless Adapter from this one? It would be a little cheaper for me and I'd be able to extend my WiFi signal on both bands.