What's new

PPPOE Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ank

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
My network provider does not have an option for me to bridge my modem. I heard that setting PPPOE I sorta similar, I do somewhat understand what it does but I've always been unclear about some stuff.

To begin this is how I have set up my network rn

spdif -> modem (wifi off, upnp off) -> aftermarket router(ASUS gt5300) in ROUTER MODE (pppoe enabled with my username and password)

okay now thats out of the way my questions are

is that the correct way to set it up or am I missing anything?

on my gt5300 router do I

have to enable or disable any of these
WAN
NAT
UPnP

what is MTU MRU should I mess with them or leave it as default
what is Internet Detection should I leave it as PPP Echo or DNS Probe
Enable VPN + DHCP Connection??

Will I be getting double NAT

Extra Information :
the IP assigned to my router is private (192.)
my WAN on my gt5300 starts with 184
traceroute to google displays both my modem and router

Thank you very much to everyone that is trying to help

Hi everyone,
My network provider does not have an option for me to bridge my modem. I heard that setting PPPOE I sorta similar, I do somewhat understand what it does but I've always been unclear about some stuff.

To begin this is how I have set up my network rn

spdif -> modem (wifi off, upnp off) -> aftermarket router(ASUS gt5300) in ROUTER MODE (pppoe enabled with my username and password)

okay now thats out of the way my questions are

is that the correct way to set it up or am I missing anything?

on my gt5300 router do I

have to enable or disable any of these
WAN
NAT
UPnP

what is MTU MRU should I mess with them or leave it as default
what is Internet Detection should I leave it as PPP Echo or DNS Probe
Enable VPN + DHCP Connection??

Will I be getting double NAT

Extra Information :
the IP assigned to my router is private (192.)
my WAN on my gt5300 starts with 184
traceroute to google displays both my modem and router

Thank you very much to everyone that is trying to help

Spdif? More likely SFP which is used on fiber. Regarding your setup, that would work as well or you can remove modem completely and connect directly to router, will need spf to ethernet media converter.

Regarding setting on your asus router, you will choose connection type pppoe and enter user id and password. Your router will get it's own ip address, not starting with 192..., ip address. Also on router do not change setting related wan, nat or upnp.

Your MTU and MRU will be 1492, will be set by router when you choose pppoe, do not modify it. Along with other parameter found on page, but for information ppp echo is used to make sure link is up between isp router and your router. DNS probe does something, in this case it will ping dns server to make sure connection is up. When it fails link will detect it and notify router and it will display message on user interface.

Trace route will display both and that is normal, it would be router first, modem and then it would be isp router.

Last edited:
lol cal
or even more likely SFP than SPF? ;)[/QUOTE
Spdif? More likely SPF which is used on fiber. Regarding your setup, that would work as well or you can remove modem completely and connect directly to router, will need spf to ethernet media converter.

Regarding setting on your asus router, you will choose connection type pppoe and enter user id and password. Your router will get it's own ip address, not starting with 192..., ip address. Also on router do not change setting related wan, nat or upnp.

Your MTU and MRU will be 1492, will be set by router when you choose pppoe, do not modify it. Along with other parameter found on page, but for information ppp echo is used to make sure link is up between isp router and your router. DNS probe does something, in this case it will ping dns server to make sure connection is up. When it fails link will detect it and notify router and it will display message on user interface.

Trace route will display both and that is normal, it would be router first, modem and then it would be isp router.

Thanks for the response and thanks @Girsu for getting you back lol. I just placed an order for a media convertor, I gave up on the modem I have. Modem speeds reach 940 down and 850 up but ethernet does not even come close to that (on my router at least). once again thanks for the response