1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

PPPOE Questions

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by ank, Apr 10, 2020.

1. ank

ank Occasional Visitor

Hi everyone,
    My network provider does not have an option for me to bridge my modem. I heard that setting PPPOE I sorta similar, I do somewhat understand what it does but I've always been unclear about some stuff.

To begin this is how I have set up my network rn

spdif -> modem (wifi off, upnp off) -> aftermarket router(ASUS gt5300) in ROUTER MODE (pppoe enabled with my username and password)

okay now thats out of the way my questions are

is that the correct way to set it up or am I missing anything?

on my gt5300 router do I

have to enable or disable any of these
    WAN
    NAT
    UPnP

what is MTU MRU should I mess with them or leave it as default
    what is Internet Detection should I leave it as PPP Echo or DNS Probe
    Enable VPN + DHCP Connection??

Will I be getting double NAT

Extra Information :
    the IP assigned to my router is private (192.)
    my WAN on my gt5300 starts with 184
    traceroute to google displays both my modem and router

Thank you very much to everyone that is trying to help

2. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

Spdif? More likely SFP which is used on fiber. Regarding your setup, that would work as well or you can remove modem completely and connect directly to router, will need spf to ethernet media converter.

Regarding setting on your asus router, you will choose connection type pppoe and enter user id and password. Your router will get it's own ip address, not starting with 192..., ip address. Also on router do not change setting related wan, nat or upnp.

Your MTU and MRU will be 1492, will be set by router when you choose pppoe, do not modify it. Along with other parameter found on page, but for information ppp echo is used to make sure link is up between isp router and your router. DNS probe does something, in this case it will ping dns server to make sure connection is up. When it fails link will detect it and notify router and it will display message on user interface.

Trace route will display both and that is normal, it would be router first, modem and then it would be isp router.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    L&LD likes this.
  3. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

or even more likely SFP than SPF? ;)

L&LD likes this.
  4. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

Auto correct at work.

L&LD likes this.
  5. ank

ank Occasional Visitor