What's new

PPTP, cant ping hosts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WillUK2010

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I have set up a simple PPTP VPN, and im using my Mac (Osx Mountain Lyon) to connect, using the inbuilt pptp vpn client.

I can connect to the VPN fine, and i can ping the router, and use the web interface on it using local ip, but i cant ping any other devices on my network, or get to any web interfaces (nas, xbmc etc).

Funny thing is, i CAN get a response from port 80, on my NAS.. (its displays my webstation home webpage on the synology), but i cant get to port 5000, or ssh to my NAS..

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Will

Are PPTP clients in the same subnet as remote LAN (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx for both)? If not, you will need to setup a static route. Simplest is to set your router's DHCP range to a smaller range (i.e. 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199), then setup VPN to use 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.210).

Also make sure your remote LAN isn't in the same subnet as your local LAN (from where you are connecting), or you will also face routing issues.

Are PPTP clients in the same subnet as remote LAN (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx for both)? If not, you will need to setup a static route. Simplest is to set your router's DHCP range to a smaller range (i.e. 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199), then setup VPN to use 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.210).

Also make sure your remote LAN isn't in the same subnet as your local LAN (from where you are connecting), or you will also face routing issues.

Hey Merlin, thanks for your reply

well, its a little confusing maybe, because im using USB cable to teather to my IPhone.. then using PPTP over that.. i cant see anywhere to set the ip to something before it connects if you get me, its not like already having a lan connection, and being on 192.168.0.x, and then making a connection..

I can see that the VPN gives me, 192.168.10.2 when i connect, and my home network is 192.168.0.x.

Cheers
Will

I can see that the VPN gives me, 192.168.10.2 when i connect, and my home network is 192.168.0.x.

Cheers
Will

That's your problem. Different subnet, so you have no route between the two of them. You will have to change the DHCP and the VPN IP rangse as I mentioned. This is configured on the router, not on your phone.

That's your problem. Different subnet, so you have no route between the two of them. You will have to change the DHCP and the VPN IP rangse as I mentioned. This is configured on the router, not on your phone.

Cheers Merlin, that worked.

I wanted to give OpenVPN a go... so i got it all set up, and i can connect, but i get the same issue, not able to ping local machines when on OpenVPN... looking at the settings, i can only set a subnet and mask, not a range like you can with PPTP.. any ideas what to do with OpenVPN if you cant ping hosts on the local network?

cheers.

There are a lot of different ways you can configure OpenVPN. If you stick to the Tomato tutorial from my Wiki, you should have no problem pinging hosts because the OpenVPN client (at least the Win32 one) will automatically create the necessary route. Make sure you run the client with admin privileges.