What's new

PPTP multicast problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ali232

Occasional Visitor
Hello.

I have a software that uses a multicast address 239.255.255.230 and a UDP port 37020 for sending and receiving control packets to/from devices.
My problem is that when my notebook with the software is on the network it finds devices no problem but when connected through the PPTP VPN it does not see anything.
What can cause this? PPTP is on the same subnet as my LAN. My router firewall or antivirus blocks it? I tried to disable both.

Thanks for your answers.

Although PPTP can use the same IP network as the LAN, it is NOT a bridged VPN. It's actually a routed VPN! Each PPTP client is hosted on its own single-host IP network (/32) to give the *illusion* it's bridged, when it actually requires routing between that PPTP client and the rest of the IP network, including other PPTP clients. And unless you're using a proxy service to forward broadcast packets, they won't been seen. That's why some routers include an option to enable a proxy service for such purposes.

These days, the better option is using a bridged (TAP) OpenVPN connection if you want support for broadcast messages.

Last edited: