What's new

PPTP & OpenVPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dtomsol

New Around Here
Good evening guys,

I'm not an expert by any means, so please bear with me. Hopefully I can explain what I'm looking to do so it makes sense to you guys.

The Asus N66U is running 3.0.0.4.270.25 (Merlin build). I am able to VPN using the PPTP server to access my router from abroad. However, I want to have the N66U acting as an OpenVPN client so that all outgoing traffic from my router is encrypted as well. Essentially I have:

Laptop>>>>PPTP Server to N66U>>>>N66U>>>>Ipredator OpenVPN>>>Internet

Whenever I enable the Ipredator OpenVPN client mode, I am unable to connect to my router via the PPTP server. Can the N66U be a PPTP server & OpenVPN client at the same time? The router will run both PPTP server & OpenVPN client at the same time with no problem, but when OpenVPN client mode is turned on....I'm unable to connect to the PPTP server from my laptop.

I know it's not ideal to have it set up this way, but this is what I'm looking to do if at all possible. If it is not possible, will I need two routers to set this up? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to go anywhere in the world and access my router, plus have all outgoing traffic from my router going through Ipredator. I know it's easy to just set up my laptop as a VPN client, but I'm hoping I can set it up the above referenced method.

Thank you all!

I would also like to know how to do this.
I cannot access my network from outside with OpenVPN server enable and at the same time has OpenVPN client enabled and connected to ipredator.

There should not be any reason why this shouldn't work with one router. From what I understand you are connecting to your router remotely using a PPTP VPN server and then you are wanting the traffic leaving the router to go over the OpenVPN Client link.

Are you using the web interface to setup the OpenVPN link? If so this may be changing the firewall rules and removing the virtual interfaces of the PPTP server. Honestly I don't know as I have not tried it yet. Try creating the openvpn server without the web interface and adding firewall rules manually. Then, depending on the whether or not your OpenVPN client routes all traffic over the tunnel you may need to add rules to do so. That way anything coming into the PPTP tunnel is processed and then routed over the OpenVPN tunnel. I would need more info on the setup to know for sure.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the exact same thing. Route all of my traffic through the N66U's OpenVPN Client through my VPN, as well as host a PPTP or OpenVPN server (neither works) in order to access my LAN remotely. Granted I've only used the GUI config, but PPTP works when the OpenVPN Client is disabled and doesn't when it's enabled so I'm having similar symptoms. Looks like I may need to spend some time learning manual routing?

edit: Further digging yielded this: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/issues/293

"VPN client disables incoming web services, including VPN server"

Answer: "If your client is set to route all traffic through the tunnel, then it means all outbound traffic will go through it, causing issues for any inbound connection that doesn't use the tunnel. This is normal, and requires manual routing configuration to work around." -RMerl

How to do that manual routing is currently beyond me - further research is required.

Last edited:
You seem like were looking for what my goal was. I wanted something that from anywhere I could access my home net as well as use my home connection as the gateway. I couldn't get it working with tun, but changing to tap worked fine on my work computer, rooted galaxy note 2, and my laptop. For work I had to edit the client.ovpn and add route lines to exclude them from routing through open vpn so that I could access all of my work computers while all work traffic still worked and even works across all of the cisco vpn connection to offshore sites.

At work the bottom of my client.ovpn I have:
route-gateway dhcp
route-method exe
route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 default default
route 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 default default

Those lines tell openvpn to use itself as the primary gateway and exclude any 10.x addresses and 172.16.x address from being routed out of openvpn and instead push them through the other gateway on the system. I get the best of both worlds, I can pretend I'm working with random server screens open across my 3 24"ers, but my other IP traffic is tunneled out of my home connection. If I put my work computer on the DMZ I can't get to all of the work type stuff. If I surf out of the proxy everything I do is logged , and I loathe editing logs(plus it's against Sarbanes Oxley). With openvpn I work and goof off simultaneously. I also like it because when I'm offshore and want to check on banking or other things I tunnel to home and check from there having at least some semblance of security.

PPTP Server plus OpenVPN Client

Hi

I am new to this all, but have managed to install the Merclin firmware, and I have also managed to get the PPTP server working and I have the openvpn client working as well, yet, as mentioned, once the openvpn client is up all incoming connections are blocked.

Would anyone be able to explain to steps I have to take to configure this selective routes in order to get this working?

I found some scripts which apparently allow one to configure which IPs use the tunnel, but in this case I am looking for something to allow an incoming connection to the real ip (behind the the VPN ip) to be routed to the PPTP server.

Any help is really appreciated. :)

and by the way, a big thanks to Merlin and the other people who have created all this stuff making our lives so much easier! :)

Thanks!

LuCarpen

how to setup open vpn on both ends

could someone be so kind to post an openvepn configuration between both router I have rt-66u and rtac66u so how can I create a tunnel between both? and the other question is how do I use the ip of one or the other router on the remote site eg. if I am on mexico and have the router on miami how can I make that I can apper on the us instead of the local place?