What's new

PPTP Server Passwords not Saved Properly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I am trying to configure a PPTP Server on an RT-AC88U router running Asus Merlin 386.7. When I enter a username and password, click on + and then apply, when I show passwords, the password for the username I entered is a completely random computer generated string. How can I get the router to remember the actual password that I entered?

Is your browser doing any auto-entering for you? Try in incognito mode.

I am manually entering the username and password and then click on the + icon. The Username and the password I entered are then visible in the username list. After I click Apply and then click on the Show Passwords checkbox, the password is not what I entered, but a random string of characters.

As most passwords are now encrypted is could just be a display problem. i.e. it's displaying the encrypted password rather than the decrypted password. Try actually logging in with your password and seeing if it works.