What's new

PPTP vpn or OPEN-VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fritsp1989

Regular Contributor
In the merlin wrt should i use pptp or open vpn?
There are a couple of things i would like to have with vpn but i cannot find if i am on the right track.
I want to have the vpn with the most speed i do not mind security or encryption.
But i have windows mashines and i want to be able to just browse on vpn connection like i am used at home i believe thats what they call samba support.
But if i use pptp with samba support my router becomes crazy and screams "buggy" in the logs.
Does open vpn have samba support out of the box so that if i go to my network places on mywindows mashine i see my home pcs like i was at home ?

If you want 100% transparent support as if you were connected physically at home and be able to directly browse the Network Neighborhood, then you can use OpenVPN in TAP mode. Otherwise, just setup either PPTP or OpenVPN in TUN mode, and directly access the IP of the server you want to browse (\\192.168.111.222).

If you want 100% transparent support as if you were connected physically at home and be able to directly browse the Network Neighborhood, then you can use OpenVPN in TAP mode. Otherwise, just setup either PPTP or OpenVPN in TUN mode, and directly access the IP of the server you want to browse (\\192.168.111.222).

Yes this would make sense i googled the protocol.
But that would require me to make certificates, i was looking for the built in funtion of windows 7 to handle te VPN connection.
Just a username and a password would be enough security for me, but the problem is whenever i activate PPTP Samba i get an error in my logs.
''protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0''.
So i asume that the samba function is broken, i dont know if original firmware from asus has this bug too.

And as far as i can tell your firmware works flawless for me on normal usage.
There are just 2 things that are broken.

- Can't Activate VPN Server the button stays OFF
- Can't Activate samba support on PPTP

- Can't Activate VPN Server the button stays OFF
- Can't Activate samba support on PPTP

If the VPN button won't turn to On then it means the server isn't configured, so it can't start. That's perfectly normal.

The PPTP broadcast support is hackish at best. The same issue also exists in the original firmware. PPTP simply wasn't meant to be used for broadcasting.