What's new

PPTP VPN server question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LukeH

Occasional Visitor
This could be a more general PPTP question but as I'm trying to do everything from the router's web config with Merlin I post it here.

I noticed that when I use a PPTP server all internet traffic is routed trough VPN ("tracert google.com" gives the router address on the first line). How can I route only 192.168... traffic via VPN (similar with Open VPN when "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" is unchecked) as I don't see such option in the web gui?

Bonus question: in most basic words possible, why PPTP is considered less safe (then OpenVPN)? Cause someone could hack into my router if I have the PPTP server started or cause the vpn traffic could be sniffed or something?

Thanks

I noticed that when I use a PPTP server all internet traffic is routed trough VPN ("tracert google.com" gives the router address on the first line). How can I route only 192.168... traffic via VPN (similar with Open VPN when "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" is unchecked) as I don't see such option in the web gui?
The split tunnelling has to be done by the client. My guess is that there's nothing in the PPTP protocol that allows the server to tell the client whether it should do that or not. Assuming that's true then logically you would need to look at the client's options to see if it can be set there.

Bonus question: in most basic words possible, why PPTP is considered less safe (then OpenVPN)? Cause someone could hack into my router if I have the PPTP server started or cause the vpn traffic could be sniffed or something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Tunneling_Protocol#Security

Windows has a setting in its PPTP configuration to determine if you wish to use the remote gateway or not. You need to disable that option.