What's new

Pre-wire Fiber cable demarc to network closet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avery

Regular Contributor
Currently under residential construction with rough framing... even though I am currently on Comcast cable modem and fiber isn't yet available, should I be future proofing by running fiber from the demarc to the network closet? I may be able to run some carlon tubing, but would not count on it.

I don't know squat about fiber. If I should add some fiber cable, can anyone recommend a particular cable of the appropriate quality/class/grade, including appropriate end terminations? Total distance traveled is about 75-80'.

Thank you!

“Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.”

A quote that has the ring of truth. Not that many years ago CAT5 was the standard. Today the CAT numbers continue to climb and who knows where it will end...

I am told terminating fiber can be tricky and who knows what will come along next. One recommendation is to run conduit of sufficient size to pull what you need later. Also run UTP and COAX, not in the conduit, so you will have plenty of options.