What's new

[Preview 380/legacy] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Hi everyone,

I'll be uploading early test builds for 380.70 today. This will be the last, final release for the 380 branch. The focus of this release will be only on addressing simple issues that carry a low risk of breaking something else (so don't expect any major changes such as an OpenVPN update).

These test builds may be occasionally updated, and no support is providing for them.

They will be available through this URL (once done sync'ing): https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/test-builds

** This will be the last, final release for the 380 branch ** :eek:
Long live to 380.XX
I dont know anything about programming or debugging, but I hope someone will be brave enough to keep this branch (380.XX) up to date, like john9527 did for the branch 374.43

380.69_2 is the best firmware I've used

Too many annoying little bugs for me with the 384 branch

RT-AC1900P

Last edited:
...even if I was fond 380 version... it's right!
The 384 version is significantly better.

Will there be any final final release of the 380 branch (final as in non-beta non-testbuild), such as 380.70 or just this test build?

Will there be any final final release of the 380 branch (final as in non-beta non-testbuild), such as 380.70 or just this test build?
There will be a stable release.

Yes. There will be the usual occasional alpha builds during initial development, followed by a beta stage, leading ultimately the final release. 380.70 will follow the usual development cycle.

@RMerlin just to check, even if they release new updates with their source code, you won't keep supporting 380's right?

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

@RMerlin just to check, even if they release new updates with their source code, you won't keep supporting 380's right?

Correct, I will no longer be syncing it with new GPL (that's why 380_8120 won't be merged in for instance).

I'm not closing the door to potentially issuing a release if there is an end-of-the-world security issue in need of fixing AND it doesn't require too much work to fix, but it's highly unlikely to be the case. John's fork can take over for the N66U/AC66U users, and the rest are already taken care of by the 384/NG branch. And nobody has stepped forward to show interest in taking over the 380 branch, so it will most likely be done and buried after 380.70.

Correct, I will no longer be syncing it with new GPL (that's why 380_8120 won't be merged in for instance).

I'm not closing the door to potentially issuing a release if there is an end-of-the-world security issue in need of fixing AND it doesn't require too much work to fix, but it's highly unlikely to be the case. John's fork can take over for the N66U/AC66U users, and the rest are already taken care of by the 384/NG branch. And nobody has stepped forward to show interest in taking over the 380 branch, so it will most likely be done and buried after 380.70.
[emoji108] thanks

Running with 380.69_X for several months without any problems here with my 2 rt-ac1900p, I decided to wait a little before making the leap to 384 serie.( 384 give me issues in mediabridge mode ).

Thanx for this early build ;)

Last edited:

What sort of changes were introduced in GPL 380_8120? Eventually I will venture to take my AC68 to 384.x branch but have seen no reason for my usage as basic AP backbone to enterprise Firewall/App control etc. that handles it all for me. Your thoughts if am leaving my self exposed as I also have the AP behind a DMZ.

What sort of changes were introduced in GPL 380_8120? Eventually I will venture to take my AC68 to 384.x branch but have seen no reason for my usage as basic AP backbone to enterprise Firewall/App control etc. that handles it all for me. Your thoughts if am leaving my self exposed as I also have the AP behind a DMZ.

Asus never released 380_8120 for the RT-AC68U anyway, so it would probably not be possible to use that code for that model - only for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U. Any fixes/changes for the RT-AC68U would be part of the 382 release that came at that time.

Thanks, can you comment if there has been wifi driver changes between 380x to 382/384 for AC68U? Trying to determine if performance will be better on the new branch.

Thanks, can you comment if there has been wifi driver changes between 380x to 382/384 for AC68U? Trying to determine if performance will be better on the new branch.

No. Drivers are closed source, I have no idea what Asus changes between releases.

People are putting far too much focus on this "which one has better performance". Asus obviously doesn't intentionally downgrade performance. If performance really goes down with a new release (which I personally highly doubt - users need to start debugging their own LAN before their router. And no, flashing back and forth between two firmware release does not count as "troubleshooting", not if they test with a mobile device that isn't in a 100% fixed location. Just moving a laptop's screen inclination WILL affect results, as the antennas are located in the screen. I've personally experienced this myself during a test procedure a few years ago), then that must be because a bug was fixed, or a misconfigured profile was adjusted to be within the required specifications.

Basic dumbed down example: just because Open wifi is faster than WPA2 does not mean people should all start using Open instead.

No. Drivers are closed source, I have no idea what Asus changes between releases.

People are putting far too much focus on this "which one has better performance". Asus obviously doesn't intentionally downgrade performance. If performance really goes down with a new release (which I personally highly doubt - users need to start debugging their own LAN before their router. And no, flashing back and forth between two firmware release does not count as "troubleshooting", not if they test with a mobile device that isn't in a 100% fixed location. Just moving a laptop's screen inclination WILL affect results, as the antennas are located in the screen. I've personally experienced this myself during a test procedure a few years ago), then that must be because a bug was fixed, or a misconfigured profile was adjusted to be within the required specifications.

Basic dumbed down example: just because Open wifi is faster than WPA2 does not mean people should all start using Open instead.

Understood and agree. I should have been clear on performance question, in general, since much has changed from a code specific, not related to WiFi drivers. On me, on how I phrased the question. Thanks

1 week with this build , and nothing to report.Solid :)
Dont throw me rocks for asking this question, but finally is there going to be a final version before closing the books on 380 ? or the branch will end in alpha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.