What's new

Prime Day - New Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StephenM36

New Around Here
I'm in the market for a new router, upgrade from my RT-N56U. I saw on amazon where the Netgear R7500v2 is available for seemingly low price of about $125. The 56U I have works great, except it's a N and I need to upgrade to an AC. Any reason this isn't a good deal? The R7800 is about $65 more (was hoping it'd be the one on sale since it's ranked so high) but not sure it's worth it for me. I have 2 phones, 2 PCs and 2 TVs/Fire Sticks that connect and that's it. No heavy gaming, but do use heavy streaming quite a bit. Any (quick) advice is appreciated.

Moving to a 4x4 ac router from 2x2 N is bound to provide some benefit, even for N devices.

I have 2 phones, 2 PCs and 2 TVs/Fire Sticks that connect and that's it. No heavy gaming, but do use heavy streaming quite a bit. Any (quick) advice is appreciated.

If your current solution is working... try not to break things.

That being said, your older RT-N56U is on the longer end of things - and if you're happy with the Asus WebGUI and workflow - try to find a replacement there - the RT-AC68U is still in the Amazon catalog of devices, as is the RT-AC3100.

I went ahead and bought this, figuring if it doesn't work well, I can return it. That being said, what's the best way to set this up? I have limited experience with routers technically, although I did easily flash the firmware with custom firmware on the RT-N56U. Should my first priority be to flash this with Kong's firmware?

Your first priority is to use it with factory firmware to see if it helps.

So Amazon has back-ordered the R7500v2, telling me it'll be 4-6 weeks. I'm not sure I want to wait. I've been looking at the Google Wifi mesh, any advice? I have a 1700 sqft house with the option to put the router right in the middle, and most devices within 20 feet of it. I don't think I'll need another wifi point with Google until I finish my basement in a few years. Amazon has offered me 30% off the R7500v2, so my two choices I see are a $99 Google Wifi (immediately) or a Nighthawk R7500v2 for about $95 (waiting 4-6 weeks).

when google wifi first came out it had a qualcomm dual core krait CPU, decent amount of ram and 4x4 wifi AC but only 2 ethernet ports. You also will need to use google's way to set it up. So just compare that with the r7500v2 and see which one is better on both hardware and software and pick one. If the R7500 is worth the wait then wait, as thats only a month and a half.

I've waited 2 months before for some ECC Ram from amazon EU, for the price i cant complain as ECC unbuffered is the most expensive out of non ECC and ECC registered.