1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Prime Option: Wireless Router opinions

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by Sierraguy, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Sierraguy

Sierraguy New Around Here

I own a TM-1800 (essentially a rebranded ASUS RT-AC68U right) and an ASUS RTAC66U but need better coverage to avoid a costly mesh system or extenders. My house if a 1800 sq ft split level but with a strange layout that isn't conducive to clean signal due to location of the cable drop, electrical interference, location of the front and rear doors (am looking at a Ring doorbell and cameras).

We stream HD/4k (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Showtime, Spotify, Google Play) in 3 rooms (a couple of Nvidia Shields and Roku Ultra, X-Box 1 in one room, 3 Echo devices. Plus will be putting in Echo Shows and smart devices. I have a Synology DS418Play but don't plan on streaming from it due to the availability of shows on the internet.

Prime has the: 1) Netgear Nighthawk x4s Smart Router (R7800) AC2600 for $131 down from $167 ($249 elsewhere)
    * CNET says the Software is clunky and network storage is slow. I'm techie literate and have a Synology DS418Play for storage.

2) TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band Gaming Router at $229 down from $304 (over kill but what the hey)

I have preferred ASUS and was looking at the AC88U but it's nearly 5 years old and did want to move to Mu-MIMO.

What would the audience here say?

Thank you,
    Brett Glines

2. Gar

Gar Senior Member

Don't know the technical stuff but $131 is best price I have seen.

Asus 5300 on sale at Newegg also, link in "Hot Deals" forum. An excellent tri-band router.

3. Klueless

Klueless Very Senior Member

True, a "more better" router may give you slightly better coverage but that will only go so far.

When I upgraded from Asus N66U and AC68U to AC86Us I did realize better coverage/range but ... I still needed an extender.

At home, also an 1800 sq. ft. split, I'm still running fine with a lower end Asus but ... I'm not streaming 4K nor am I doing anything fancy.

A golden rule in Real Estate is "location - Location - LOCATION". Same in WiFi, sometimes a location tweak of just a few feet (up and out) will help.

You already have two Asus routers? How are you using the 2nd? And you are still having coverage problems?

Pick a router. You may get lucky. If not you may wind up using your old router as an AP (extender).

Cost. I hear the Google Wifi (mesh) is relatively cheap yet competitive. A couple of my friends swear by it. (Myself, I'm not ready to give up my Asus -)