Printer does not work anymore ever sense using Asus RT-AX86U as main router and AT&T Gateway/Modem just as a modem on my fiber so weird. How to fix ?

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
The printer is on Wifi maybe that is why ? Though I made the network name and password the same as before.

I tried unplugging and plugging the printer back in.

GSRecluse

New Around Here
I realize that both windows and mac use a lot of upnp (windows WSD and Apple 'magic' to just configure them. My guess is that the printer is using a DHCP IP still from the modem when it was setup as a router, and that IP is not the same one, same IP network as the new router DHCP scope is in, or on same vlan as it was before, if you've gone to the trouble to put wan and lan on different vlan.

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
By the way for backup if I just got a long Ethernet cable and connected the printer by Ethernet cable would that fix the problem ?

degrub

Very Senior Member
not if the IP address in the printer is static and on the old network IP range. Try a factory default reset of the printer and see if it picks up the new network, wireless or wired. Otherwise, get into the printer's configuration pages and look at the lan and wireless settings versus what is being provided by the ASUS. The ASUS should also show the printer IP address and mac address if it is seeing it.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Try to keep your subject titles to just a few words and then put a more detailed explanation of the problem in the body of the post.

degrub

Very Senior Member
do you see the printer in the connected devices on the router ?

Maybe the PC is connecting directly to the printer if both have wireless ?

delete the printer on the other machines. Re boot those machines. Search for the printer using the windows add printer. Add the printer. Re-boot.

Mike-48

Occasional Visitor
By the way for backup if I just got a long Ethernet cable and connected the printer by Ethernet cable would that fix the problem ?
Very likely, but not if the printer is set to a fixed IP address incompatible with the range assigned by the new router.

The most likely thing to succeed might be resetting the printer to factory settings, then uninstalling it and reainstalling it on your computer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!