What's new

"Privacy issues with Trend Micro software in Asus routers"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GK59

Regular Contributor
I came across this over on Router Security (near the bottom of the page) but it appears to deal with the default Asus firmware but I was curious as to if this is a non-issue with RMerlin's FW? Blogger mentions in an article;

"The stock firmware that runs Asus routers is called ASUSRWRT and it has a somewhat hidden privacy issue. If you use any of the following features, it will collect and transmit data about which websites you visit to Trend Micro: Apps/traffic Analysis, Bandwidth Monitor, Network Analyzer, Network Protection (AiProtection), Parental Controls (including time scheduling), Quality-of-Service, Web History and Network Map. This is spelled out in a EULA from Trend Micro. If the software thinks a website URL is potentially fraudulent, it sends the URL to Trend. In addition, executable files or content that is identified as potential malware is also send to Trend. Finally, email messages identified as spam or malware are sent to Trend, despite the fact that they may contain sensitive data. Quoting: "The EULA also contains language holding the router's owner responsible for notifying their friends, family, and house guests who connect to the internet through the ASUS router that any network activity may be recorded and shared with Trend Micro."

Another article on COMPUTERWORLD from 5/17 on this as well. If I understand this correctly, this may no longer be an issue with more up to date firmware (e.g. RMerlin)?

Last edited:
A EULA is not technical evidence, it's just a legal document to protect Trend Micro.

"is" and "may" are not interchangeable words...

Again????? This has been discussed so many times , if you use the search facility you'd save yourself time.