What's new

Problem loading Merlin on RT86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobpow

Regular Contributor
I am having a problem loading Merlin on my RT 86u.
the stock version does not allow me to select the merlin software on my PC , it only has the firmware check update button that goes to the ASUS server

Below it has the manual upload for AIMESH routers and when I try that I get current version installed and will not move the Merlin file over .

Any help would be appreciated , I'm working with ASUS support but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I decided to RMA it. Just too many issues

Last edited:
Did you take correct firmware file for upload? Often people take 68U instead of 86U, and you must unzip before uploading to the router!

Did you take correct firmware file for upload? Often people take 68U instead of 86U, and you must unzip before uploading to the router!
Yes correct file and unzipped, previously had Merlin 384.12 installed and running for weeks , I had some isp issues and tried latest stock . I tried nvram erase, reset, and firmware rescue restoration. Still nothing. I am going to RMA it
Thanks for your help

You can use ASUS Firmware Restoration utility to flash the router.
Thanks but I tried that, it restores it fine but I cannot changes any settings . I tried with stock and it loads and it will not load Merlin

Thanks but I tried that, it restores it fine but I cannot changes any settings . I tried with stock and it loads and it will not load Merlin

You may want to detail the steps you're using to let us see if there is one missing.

Otherwise, this issue may not be hardware and you may see it on the replacement too (hopefully not though).

You may want to detail the steps you're using to let us see if there is one missing.

Otherwise, this issue may not be hardware and you may see it on the replacement too (hopefully not though).
Thanks for the reply but after many attempts including your procedures, I have RMAed. It is on its way to Asus .
Thanks again

Thanks for the reply but after many attempts including your procedures, I have RMAed. It is on its way to Asus .
Thanks again

Let me know how your RMA works out. I RMAed an AC86 last week and was told they didn't have any replacements to send out and would repair my unit. My unit was received by them this Monday and they still haven't logged it into their system so I'm not expecting to hear anything soon. Interested to know what they tell you.

Let me know how your RMA works out. I RMAed an AC86 last week and was told they didn't have any replacements to send out and would repair my unit. My unit was received by them this Monday and they still haven't logged it into their system so I'm not expecting to hear anything soon. Interested to know what they tell you.
I will get back to you, UPS said 5 days to California from New York so I'll be checking next week

My rmaed rt 86u arrived today in California. I just checked the support site and it says it logged in. And the status says it’s under repair.

How did you make out?

My rmaed rt 86u arrived today in California. I just checked the support site and it says it logged in. And the status says it’s under repair.

How did you make out?

I received notification yesterday that repairs and testing were complete and the unit had been shipped back to arrive August 5th.

Hopefully they have "fixed" the problem so It is possible to run two VPN clients, VPN server, and other features including the several useful scripts.

I received notification yesterday that repairs and testing were complete and the unit had been shipped back to arrive August 5th.

Hopefully they have "fixed" the problem so It is possible to run two VPN clients, VPN server, and other features including the several useful scripts.
I spoke to them this afternoon and they said if they cannot repair it they will send a replacement. So they must have some replacements or stock

I spoke to them this afternoon and they said if they cannot repair it they will send a replacement. So they must have some replacements or stock
I will know next week if they "repaired my AC86" or pulled another one out of their pile. I would like to be optimistic as many people have had great success with their AC86, but after two duds you begin to wonder.

Well mine is due back on 8/9 .
How did you make out, replacement or repair?

Well mine is due back on 8/9 .
How did you make out, replacement or repair?
I received my Rmaed RT 86u back from ASUS this morning. The note in the box said they did not find any issues with it but they loaded the latest firmware on it( 2 versions back.) ( I could not change any setting or load Merlin or any firmware without the recovery software but after installing I still could not change any settings.)
I connected it everything was fine.
Go figure.