What's new

Problem overclocking RT-AC66U-B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

7cfm

New Around Here
I have a new RT-AC66U-B1 flashed to Asuswrt-Merlin v380.68_2 which I would like to overclock to to eke out a bit more performance with openvpn. I have read and think I have understood previous threads on overclocking. The default for this router is 1000,666 so I figured 1200,666 is a reasonably safe option and changed the clock speed using commands # nvram set clkfreq=1200,666 and # nvram commit and then rebooted, The reboot took and age and once the router was up I checked the clock speed using # cat /proc/cpuinfo, BogoMIPS is showing as 199.06 for processor 0 and 199.47 for processor 1 so something is not right, any advice please?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 837
I don't believe that overclocking is allowed by Asus any longer.
Thanks but the method I used should overcome the Asus restrictions and has been used fairly recently by others on this forum with success. It's possible that something may have changed in the latest merlin release, I'm not sure.

IIRC @adampk17 is correct and that method hasn't worked reliably for a long time. Also, I think you have to use very specific numbers for your particular hardware otherwise it defaults to the very low speed you are seeing.

Have another search of the forum, I think I remember seeing this being discussed.

IIRC @adampk17 is correct and that method hasn't worked reliably for a long time. Also, I think you have to use very specific numbers for your particular hardware otherwise it defaults to the very low speed you are seeing.

Have another search of the forum, I think I remember seeing this being discussed.
I seem to be lucky with my 87U, I have the nvram set and commit in services-stop, I have to issue it manually from cli, then reboot via GUI, and it sticks (and confirmed by BogoMIPS). No idea if this approach would work on your model though.

OK Thanks for your replies. The two sources of information I am referencing are https://github.com/kvic-z/goodies-asuswrt/wiki/Overclock-Asuswrt-Merlin-on-v378.56-and-beyond and this thread here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...t-merlin-378-56_2-rt-ac68u-and-rt-n66u.28043/

I don’t need to make the change permanent until after I have stress tested for stability at the new clock speed, most of the issues people were having were to do with editing scripts to make the change permanent.

If any kind soul would like to point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

I seem to be lucky with my 87U, I have the nvram set and commit in services-stop, I have to issue it manually from cli, then reboot via GUI, and it sticks (and confirmed by BogoMIPS). No idea if this approach would work on your model though.

What version of firmware are you using? If it's older than mine I may try downgrading to see if that makes any difference.

OK Thanks for your replies. The two sources of information I am referencing are https://github.com/kvic-z/goodies-asuswrt/wiki/Overclock-Asuswrt-Merlin-on-v378.56-and-beyond and this thread here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...t-merlin-378-56_2-rt-ac68u-and-rt-n66u.28043/

I don’t need to make the change permanent until after I have stress tested for stability at the new clock speed, most of the issues people were having were to do with editing scripts to make the change permanent.

If any kind soul would like to point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

What version of firmware are you using? If it's older than mine I may try downgrading to see if that makes any difference.
Using 380.68_2

Re. github link, don't use init-start, that broke lots of stuff for me. Use services-stop instead.

I wondered about the numbers, this router is quite a new model and the two nearest similar routers I can find are the Linksys R7000P and the RT-AC68U which is of course the firmware I am using. The Linksys is happy with 1200,800 keeping the default memory speed and the RT-AC68U works fine with 1200,666 again keeping ram speed at default. I'm not sure how to find out what numbers to try? (I'll keep looking :) )