Problem with ac86u and Oled c9

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Sledgestone

New Around Here
Just upgraded from rt-n66u to ac86u and I’m having an issue.

Everything works great except the Wi-Fi speed to my Oled C9. With my old n66u I got speeds up to 150 mbit with speedtest but with the ac86u it maxes out at only 70.

I’ve also had a Ubiquiti nanohd for awhile but the same problem was present with that one also.

Speeds with everything else in my house is much better with the ac86u, so I don’t really get why my TV is so much worse? Could it be that the TV doesn’t like the ac standard? Is there any settings that I can change to make it better? I’m running the latest Merlin firmware with stock settings.
 

bbunge

Very Senior Member
I recommend you flash the Asus firmware, 384.81918, use dual band smart connect, ch 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ and a fixed non DFS channel on 5 GHZ at 20, 40, 80 MHZ. Also use a SSID of no more than 8 letters.
I had run Merlin since my N66U but for several reasons went to stock Asus a couple months ago and am very pleased with it.
 

MarkyPancake

Senior Member
Conversely, regardless of Merlin or stock firmware, I would set separate SSIDs for your 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and manually add devices to them as appropriate, such as less important or low bandwidth requirement devices on 2.4 GHz to reduce unnecessary clutter on 5 GHz, and then:
  • 2.4 GHz band set to N only Wireless Mode (assuming no legacy G devices), 20 MHz Bandwidth and the Control Channel as either 1, 6, or 11.
  • 5 GHz set to N/AC mixed, 80 MHz and try the lower channels, like 36 or 40. Even when these overlap with other networks, they perform better than higher uncluttered channels in my environment, so you may find the same for you.
  • For both bands, the only professional settings I have enabled are AMPDU RTS and Enable WMM, then Modulation Scheme set to match the capabilities of the band without TurboQAM, so MCS 7 (802.11n) on 2.4 GHz and MCS 9 (802.11ac) on 5 GHz.
Only takes a few minutes to make these changes, so not much lost if it doesn't improve your setup and then try something else.
 

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Just upgraded from rt-n66u to ac86u and I’m having an issue.

Everything works great except the Wi-Fi speed to my Oled C9. With my old n66u I got speeds up to 150 mbit with speedtest but with the ac86u it maxes out at only 70.

I’ve also had a Ubiquiti nanohd for awhile but the same problem was present with that one also.

Speeds with everything else in my house is much better with the ac86u, so I don’t really get why my TV is so much worse? Could it be that the TV doesn’t like the ac standard? Is there any settings that I can change to make it better? I’m running the latest Merlin firmware with stock settings.

If the TV works, I would not worry about it. Or wire it.

OE
 

Sledgestone

New Around Here
Thanks for the help guys! It seems to have been resolved.

The changes I did was reverting to stock firmware, turned on smart connect, set the channel to 36 and set 5GHz to N/AC mixed.
 

Sledgestone

New Around Here
If the TV works, I would not worry about it. Or wire it.

OE
I need the extra speed so my iptv doesn’t lag on the 4K channels. Wired is still to slow as it caps out at 100 mbit.

But it’s all good now! It’s now up to 170 mbit with the suggested settings. :)
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top