1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Problem with Access point

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Deon Lubbe, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Deon Lubbe

Deon Lubbe New Around Here

I have to use my service provider's Router/Modem, as i have a Tivo service that runs off the Router.
    They will not let me put a VPN on their equipment, so i have a Asus RT 66u with Asus Merlin software hard wired through the WAN port and have turned off the DHCP, so the ip addresses could be issued by the Router/Modem only. However still having an issue with the router. What setup can i use for the router with full access to it?

2. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

You wrote problem with Access point (AP), but on the other side you turned off DHCP on your 66U, that means it must be in router mode not AP mode otherwise there is no DHCP to turn on/off.

And you didnt write anything about your issue you have, how should anyone help?
    You have full access to 66U in router and AP-mode, but only some functionality in AP-mode as there is no routing done in this mode. And in router-mode you will have double NAT, not a problem but maybe more work on modem for DDNS or port forwarding.