What's new

Problem with adding new switch to network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

svt11

Occasional Visitor
I have this kinda strange problem. When I add one switch between router and another switch - there is no STP configured - network is working, but for only one port of computers connected to it. Like, new switch doesn't know where to forward MAC addresses to the connected clients on the old switch connected after it. What I must do make this not happening? And how to make the new switch to learn everything.

power cycle the downstream switch... that's the first approach.

Like @Mokers mention - are you managed or unmanaged - most unmanaged switches 'just work', but a managed switch might need some configuration on the ports... however most by default don't... they'll learn and discover...

FWIW - if either of the switches are Cisco, you might have to build it out, they don't default the same as others - by design if one is doing more than just basic switching...

Hmm, someone said that I must crossover the cables!
Only if the switch is VERY, very old. Auto MDI/MDI-X crossover has been built into all switches for years now.

It would help if you provided make and model numbers of both switches.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!