What's new

Problem with Asus RT-AC56U Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

francis73

New Around Here
Hi,
I have an Asus RT-AC56U router that I have been using for about 4 years with the DD-WRT pre-installed with which I use a VPN. For two days the Router continues to reboot itself every 5-10 minutes. I have tried using different VPN servers but nothing changes. I also monitored the temperature but it seems to me that it remains stable. Then, among other things, I tried to use it with the router turned off for many hours but the problem presents itself immediately.
You think:
1) it can be a hardware problem and therefore the router should I throw it away?

or

2) Could it be a conflict of some kind and therefore could be resolved by reinstalling the DD-WRT firmware?

Thank you.

1) Check with another power adaptor/source to see if that is the issue. One of the first things that go south. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check that the power switch is working and in good condition too. This model isn't known for a failing power switch, but who knows after all this time? :)

2) Do a fresh re-install of the firmware you're using including a factory reset before/after, formatting the JFFS partition, and even consecutively resetting via different methods too (pin reset, WPS reset, and GUI reset methods).

If the above doesn't give you a more stable router, consider using the @john9527's RMerlin fork (if just for testing purposes).

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v43e6.18914/

1) Check with another power adaptor/source to see if that is the issue. One of the first things that go south. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check that the power switch is working and in good condition too. This model isn't known for a failing power switch, but who knows after all this time? :)

2) Do a fresh re-install of the firmware you're using including a factory reset before/after, formatting the JFFS partition, and even consecutively resetting via different methods too (pin reset, WPS reset, and GUI reset methods).

If the above doesn't give you a more stable router, consider using the @john9527's RMerlin fork (if just for testing purposes).

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v43e6.18914/

I want to update you.
Unfortunately I have not found a power supply to do a test because the ones I have have different attacks. I see if I buy one of those with different settings and attacks.
While on the second point I expect "Do a fresh re-install of the firmware you're using including a factory reset before / after, formatting the JFFS partition, and even consecutively resetting via different methods too (pin reset, WPS reset, and GUI reset methods) ”can you give me a link where you can find the instructions to do it? I am referring in particular to the various formats that you recommend

thank you

Have a look at the link in my signature.

The M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides are a good place to start. I'm sure others will give their favorite links too. :)

Hi, I want to update you.
First of all I didn't tell you that in my Router I had a 2016 DD-WRT firmware. A little old.
Then I read your links on how to reset but for me, who am not an expert, I found them difficult to do.
I then thought of going like this:
1) Do a Hard Reset 30/30/30
2) Reinstall the original Asus firmware using the app downloaded on the Asus website
3) Reinstall the DD-Wrt 2020 version firmware and install the instructions to use my VPN with the Flashrouters app
However, there was a problem: After doing the hard reset 30/30/30 The Asus App was unable to reinstall the original Asus firmware giving me an error. In fact, the 2016 DDWRT remained on the router, reset by all the options and strings present. So I directly upgraded from DDWRT to the 2020 version. Then I put the strings of my VPN provider and installed the APP on my iphone.
Result: the Router successfully connects to the VPN with the kill switch and autoconnect settings. And above all, it has been on since last night and will no longer restart on its own as before. For now it seems to be working well.
What do you think could make it restart continuously? Any internal conflict? But I hadn't made any changes on him for several months so I don't understand why.
Then why do you think the 30/30/30 reset did not allow me to reinstall the original Asus firmware?
In any case, thank you because the router is working well so far

My experience with DD-WRT is just a quick way to brick routers. :)

The Asus app cannot work on a router that has DD-WRT installed. The app and the firmware must work together. :)

There was obviously some internal conflict that was giving your router the fits. A reset is all that is required in many cases, as it was in yours too. :)

Just note for the future, if you do decide to try the fork I mentioned above, you need to follow this link (the app will never work to go from DD-WRT to stock Asus or RMerlin based firmware).

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1000814/

And after RMerlin is flashed successfully, the 30-30-30 reset won't work anymore (that is just a DD-WRT thing) so you will need to use the link in my signature below and follow the M&M Config and ideally the Nuclear reset guides too to get the best experience possible from @john9527's RMerlin fork. :)

You may also find other things of interest in my link below. :)

https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#info

Glad your router is stable again and hope the above helps you too in the future (if needed). :)

Of course, I will make a document with all the links you indicate to me.
I really thank you for your availability and kindness.