What's new

Problem with AT&T Nokia BGW320-505 and Guest WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bent_wrench

Occasional Visitor
Installed AT&T 1000 fiber at home back in December. They installed a Nokia BGW320-505. I setup a guest W-Fi network with Internet-only access. For the first few months it worked fine. Then recently I was trying to connect to my Sonos speaker, which uses 2.4Ghz, and the app on my phone couldn't see it. I scanned my network with Fing from my phone (connected at 5Ghz) and it only showed other 5Ghz devices. I opened the admin page for the guest Wi-Fi and changed the default subnet from 192.168.1.x/24 to 192.168.2.x/24, as it was sharing the same subnet with all my other devices. That worked for a while, I could connect to my IoT devices and Sonos again. Then yesterday it broke again, same symptoms, can't ping or see any 2.4Ghz devices from my laptop or phone using 5Ghz. So I fully disabled the guest network, and everything is working again. Anyone having a similar issue? Seems like a bad firmware change on the router.

Edit: None of the devices are on the Guest Wi-Fi internet-only SSID, they are all on the private LAN.

Last edited:
I setup a guest W-Fi network with Internet-only access.
I don't have that Nokia device but it sounds like it's probably working as intended. If you want to connect to a device on the internet-only 2.4GHz SSID you need to also be connected to that SSID. I wouldn't expect it to be accessible from the 5GHz SSID.

I don't have that Nokia device but it sounds like it's probably working as intended. If you want to connect to a device on the internet-only 2.4GHz SSID you need to also be connected to that SSID. I wouldn't expect it to be accessible from the 5GHz SSID.

I might need to update my post to have a better description, as that is not what is happening. All of my devices are on my standard 2.4GHz SSID or 5GHz SSID, not the internet-only Guest SSID. The guest SSID is for visitors. So I would expect to be able to connect to all of my devices on my private LAN regardless of whether they are using the 2.4 or 5GHz or a wired connection. But that capabilty seems broken, at least partially.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!