What's new

Problem with DDNS and LetsEncrypt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Danny Baromen

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I've had a problem for the past few months where the DDNS client isn't updating.
I've tried with no-ip and now just tried the afraid ddns and they are both giving an error that the hostname cannot be found.

I have a raspberry pi with pi-hole on the network but even if I take it out of the way the updates don't work.

Is there something I can check or change to sort this out?

The logs are as follows...

Jun 14 21:59:23 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Jun 14 21:59:24 inadyn[17226]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Jun 14 21:59:39 inadyn[17226]: Failed resolving hostname littlegeek.routemehome.com: Name or service not known
Jun 14 21:59:39 inadyn[17226]: Update forced for alias littlegeek.routemehome.com, new IP# ***.***.***.***

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've had a problem for the past few months where the DDNS client isn't updating.
I've tried with no-ip and now just tried the afraid ddns and they are both giving an error that the hostname cannot be found.

I have a raspberry pi with pi-hole on the network but even if I take it out of the way the updates don't work.

Is there something I can check or change to sort this out?

The logs are as follows...

Jun 14 21:59:23 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Jun 14 21:59:24 inadyn[17226]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Jun 14 21:59:39 inadyn[17226]: Failed resolving hostname littlegeek.routemehome.com: Name or service not known
Jun 14 21:59:39 inadyn[17226]: Update forced for alias littlegeek.routemehome.com, new IP# ***.***.***.***

When I do a nslookup from the pc it works but when I do it from the router it never gets there...

working here:
Name: littlegeek.routemehome.com
Address 1: 102.182.228.104 102-182-228-104.ip.afrihost.joburg

Yup, it works... because I updated it manually... but the router can't / won't update it on it's own...

Yup, it works... because I updated it manually... but the router can't / won't update it on it's own...
Router update afraid just fine. Use it here sins long time.

I'm using cloudflared DoH on the Pi-Hole

Response from the router is:

Server: 10.0.0.2
Address 1: 10.0.0.2

nslookup: can't resolve 'littlegeek.routemehome.com'

I'm using cloudflared DoH on the Pi-Hole

Response from the router is:

Server: 10.0.0.2
Address 1: 10.0.0.2

nslookup: can't resolve 'littlegeek.routemehome.com'
So your WAN DNS is set to 10.0.0.2? Does the Pi-Hole query log show the request from the router being received?

Yes, wan DNS and LAN dns are set to 10.0.0.102 (PiHole) and there's no request showing up on the Pi-Hole... so maybe that's the problem?

Well now... It looks like one was set to 10.0.0.2 so it was my bad... will leave it alone now and see if it all comes right...