What's new

Problem with DNS since using 386.11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PhilG1300

New Around Here
Hi,
I am using an RT-AC86U and since upgrading to 386.11 I am having problems with resolving local IPs by name.
I am using a Mac computer.
e.g. myserver.local
I am using an internet provider's router upstream on 192.168.2.254, which is serving the DNS and has firewall disabled and I have setup my RT-AC86U as the main router.
I have to do this because I am provided by my provider BT in the UK for using digital VOIP phone access, but wish to use the ASUS router for my home network.
If I downgrade the firmware to 386.10 the problem disappears.
See attached screenshot to show the WAN DNS settings.
Any suggestions?
Regards
Phil

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 09.16.43.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 09.16.43.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 49
Hi,
I am using an RT-AC86U and since upgrading to 386.11 I am having problems with resolving local IPs by name.
I am using a Mac computer.
e.g. myserver.local
I am using an internet provider's router upstream on 192.168.2.254, which is serving the DNS and has firewall disabled and I have setup my RT-AC86U as the main router.
I have to do this because I am provided by my provider BT in the UK for using digital VOIP phone access, but wish to use the ASUS router for my home network.
If I downgrade the firmware to 386.10 the problem disappears.
See attached screenshot to show the WAN DNS settings.
Any suggestions?
Regards
Phil

Those settings are fine. On your lan page is your domain set to local? What happens if you just look up the name without local? I would recommend not using local as the domain and instead use lan, local is used internally by many OSes for MDNS and other purposes and may not get sent to DNS at all.

Sometimes adding a dot after the domain is needed, like
Code:
router.local.

If all else fails, may be time for a factory reset and reconfigure by hand. But try the LAN domain first and make sure the device names are showing in DHCP leases as those are the only ones that will resolve, besides the router name itself.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I have nothing set on the lan page for the domain name.
Using .lan does not work.
I have just refreshed back to 386.11 and all is working fine.
Both fred.local and fred.local. resolve fine.
The device names have always been shown correctly in the DHCP leases.
I should have done a factory reset but I'm just being lazy!
Thanks again for the advice.
Regards
Phil

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I have nothing set on the lan page for the domain name.
Using .lan does not work.
The device names have always been shown correctly in the DHCP leases.
I should have done a factory reset but I'm just being lazy!
Thanks again for the advice.
Regards
Phil

If you have no domain set why are you trying to lookup with a domain specified? Put a domain there like "LAN" and it should work fine.

So it's started working now?

That's because you're a mac user and using Apple's mDNS to resolve .local names rather than normal DNS. mDNS doesn't need a central name server, a bit like NetBIOS for Windows.

If the DNS name is myserver but you haven't specified a domain name on the router then the FQDN would be myserver..

Last edited: