What's new

Problem with down/upload speeds on PS3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poss273

New Around Here
Hello, first time posting in here. I am pretty inexperienced with configuring my network, but I have been reading forums and guides as well as doing dome trial and error of my own, so I am learning. I recently purchased the ASUS RT-ac66r (The "r" just means retail, its the same hardware as "u") and I am having trouble specifically with my PS3 down/upload speeds.

My PS3 is connected wirelessly on my 2.4Ghz band with a consistent 85-90% signal strength. First, I had the control channel set on auto (with the b/g protection checked, not entirely sure what that does) and the bandwidth on 20/40Mhz, so basically the default settings. When I ran the connection test with my PS3, the connection to the router, internet, and PSN were all fine. But it kept failing the speed test. So I went back into my 2.4Ghz settings and changed the bandwidth to 40Mhz and the channel to 11. I repeated the connection test and the speed test went through, but had something like 1.2Mbps Down and 1.1Mbps up. So I decided to run another speed test that I could access with my PS3, I loaded the Vudu video streaming app and launched their speed test. It would continually only get part of the way through before having a network error. Their suggestion was to try the test from my PC with a wired connection to see if I got the same result. So I went went to their speed test on my PC with a wired connection and it passed with 19.2Mbps down and 2.4Mbps up.

So at this point I have to assume I have something set up incorrectly with my wireless settings. I have tried searching forums for some kind of answer, one of the only things that I have come across is someone saying they had a similar speed problem, but this was a couple years ago with an older router that had a "g only" option. They assumed that if they had the wireless mode in mixed that the PS3 would default to a "b" connection. So once they went to "g only" their speed was fixed. The problem with this is, it has mixed, n only, and legacy. So I'm not sure what to do. If anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated. I know I didn't include very many details on what all my settings are, so if anyone would like to know anything else about what they are please just ask, this post is already running on and looking rather large.

Hello, first time posting in here. I am pretty inexperienced with configuring my network, but I have been reading forums and guides as well as doing dome trial and error of my own, so I am learning. I recently purchased the ASUS RT-ac66r (The "r" just means retail, its the same hardware as "u") and I am having trouble specifically with my PS3 down/upload speeds.

My PS3 is connected wirelessly on my 2.4Ghz band with a consistent 85-90% signal strength. First, I had the control channel set on auto (with the b/g protection checked, not entirely sure what that does) and the bandwidth on 20/40Mhz, so basically the default settings. When I ran the connection test with my PS3, the connection to the router, internet, and PSN were all fine. But it kept failing the speed test. So I went back into my 2.4Ghz settings and changed the bandwidth to 40Mhz and the channel to 11. I repeated the connection test and the speed test went through, but had something like 1.2Mbps Down and 1.1Mbps up. So I decided to run another speed test that I could access with my PS3, I loaded the Vudu video streaming app and launched their speed test. It would continually only get part of the way through before having a network error. Their suggestion was to try the test from my PC with a wired connection to see if I got the same result. So I went went to their speed test on my PC with a wired connection and it passed with 19.2Mbps down and 2.4Mbps up.

So at this point I have to assume I have something set up incorrectly with my wireless settings. I have tried searching forums for some kind of answer, one of the only things that I have come across is someone saying they had a similar speed problem, but this was a couple years ago with an older router that had a "g only" option. They assumed that if they had the wireless mode in mixed that the PS3 would default to a "b" connection. So once they went to "g only" their speed was fixed. The problem with this is, it has mixed, n only, and legacy. So I'm not sure what to do. If anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated. I know I didn't include very many details on what all my settings are, so if anyone would like to know anything else about what they are please just ask, this post is already running on and looking rather large.

I think VUDU has a new bug or fights the router somehow. I saw the same thing. So just go to PS3 network settings, connection test. That will tell you specific errors, speeds, NAT2 or not, IP or not, yada yada yada.

I am hit or miss on speed, but it seems to actually be TW speeds. It is good at off times, but during prime time, the download drops below my 15/1 speeds. It also seems to pulse slower at times (amazon was wandering between hd and sd visibly and slowly), so it is probably load based. I am likely switching to UVerse very short term, so I will get another try at it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!