What's new

Problem with Netgear WNDR3700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ttran55

Regular Contributor
I have a netgear WNDR3700V1 which provide really good coverage in my 2 story house. I stayed with Netgear after trying DLink 655 adn 825 and both failed to reach the corner. The problem is the internet stops working after 3-4 days and I have to reset the router. I can login the router, wired or wireless, and the connection status is good. After doing a disconnect and reconnect then everything is back to normal.
My brother also has a WNDR3700 v3 connects to Comcast, I have ATT dsl, and he told me he has the same issue with his router.
Does anyone have the same problem? Can I do something or get another one?
I am using 2wire router modem but I disabled its router function. I am thinking of letting the 2wire moden/router does the routing and DHCP server while using the netgear as a wireless AP only. Any disadvantage of doing so?

If I connect the LAN like this: (ignore the dots, for spacing only)
(2 PCs, FreeNas, Printer, network music player are connected to the switch and netgear AP)

2Wire Router <------> Netgear WNDR3700 (AP) <-----------> 8Port Gb Switch (PCs, MediaPlayer, Network music player, printer.....)
....................................................................................... |
................................................................................WNHDB3004 (AP)

WNHDB3004(Bridge) <---> (HTPC, Media Player, Ooma are connected to the WNHDB3004 bridge)

Then all the LAN traffics (streamings, file tranfers) will never reach the 2Wire Router unless it needs to go out to the WAN port right?
thanks,
Thang.

Last edited:
Hello,
I found the work around for my issue. I re-enabled the router function of the 2Wire modem and let it handles the PPPoE connection with ATT. The 2Wire router has subnet 192.168.0.* with DHCP enabled. I connected the WAN port of the Netgear router to the 2Wire modem. The netgear is still acting as a router with subnet 192.168.1.0 and all my devices are getting IP address from its DHCP server (the layout diagram is the same as from previous post). is it not a good ideal the have a router behind another router? I sometime experienced a small latency when connecting to the internet.
is it safe to enable the NAT on my Netgear and the 2Wire router puts it on the DMZ? do I gain anything?
I don't want to use the Netgear as an AP since I need the content filtering function from the Netgear.
Thanks,
Thang.

Hello,
I found the work around for my issue. I re-enabled the router function of the 2Wire modem and let it handles the PPPoE connection with ATT. The 2Wire router has subnet 192.168.0.* with DHCP enabled. I connected the WAN port of the Netgear router to the 2Wire modem. The netgear is still acting as a router with subnet 192.168.1.0 and all my devices are getting IP address from its DHCP server (the layout diagram is the same as from previous post). is it not a good ideal the have a router behind another router? I sometime experienced a small latency when connecting to the internet.
is it safe to enable the NAT on my Netgear and the 2Wire router puts it on the DMZ? do I gain anything?
I don't want to use the Netgear as an AP since I need the content filtering function from the Netgear.
Thanks,
Thang.

If the 2wire has an ip address of 192.168.0.1 and the netgear has an ip address of 192.168.1.1, then yes you should enable NAT on the netgear. Personally, I would would use the DMZ but only if you enable NAT on the Netgear.

More than likely your original problem was MTU. If you want to go back to putting the 2wire in bridge mode, and configuring the netgear for PPPoE, then you'll need to manually change the netgear's mtu to 1492.