Problem with new RT-AX86U (ZAKU II edition)

njf

New Around Here
Just trying to set up my new AX86U. Everything seems to go OK and I am connected. However, when I try to change settings and hit Apply in the browser (Chrome) nothing happens. Similarly, when I try to install the latest Merlin firmware (or downgrade the Asus firmware) and click on Open on the .w file, similarly nothing happens.

I can change settings using the Android Asus Router app - just not in the browser on my computer (and I do not think it is possible to install Merlin from the app - right?).

I hope the new router is not faulty as I am no longer in the US and cannot easily return it.

Any thoughts? Any other way to install Merlin?

TIA

EDIT: UPDATE: Curious! I copied the Merlin firmware to my phone and opened the Chrome browser on my phone. I was able to install Merlin from the browser on my phone as well as alter other settings there. The problem seems to be with the browser on my computer.
 
Last edited:

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Just trying to set up my new AX86U. Everything seems to go OK and I am connected. However, when I try to change settings and hit Apply in the browser (Chrome) nothing happens. Similarly, when I try to install the latest Merlin firmware (or downgrade the Asus firmware) and click on Open on the .w file, similarly nothing happens.

I can change settings using the Android Asus Router app - just not in the browser on my computer (and I do not think it is possible to install Merlin from the app - right?).

I hope the new router is not faulty as I am no longer in the US and cannot easily return it.

Any thoughts? Any other way to install Merlin?

TIA

EDIT: UPDATE: Curious! I copied the Merlin firmware to my phone and opened the Chrome browser on my phone. I was able to install Merlin from the browser on my phone as well as alter other settings there. The problem seems to be with the browser on my computer.
Use Firefox. Much better than Chrome.
 

eibgrad

Part of the Furniture
Make sure you clear your Chrome browser cache and restart it. Sometimes the cached pages get out of sync w/ the current firmware, such as after a firmware upgrade, and you can get all kinds of weird behavior.
 

njf

New Around Here
I tried clearing the cache etc but that didn't help.

I haven't used Firefox for a while but I installed it and I am a little surprised to say that it seems to work fine in Firefox. Don't know what's wrong with Chrome but thanks to both of you for the suggestions.
 

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Another option is to run the browser in Incognito mode, in case it`s an addon interfering with the process. There has also been a few antivirus suites known to interfere with the process.

All my development is done using Chrome BTW. So I must have done 300-400 firmware flashes over the years, 99% of them with Chrome :)
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top