What's new

Problem with remote access to home network devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

t0x3e8

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a problem with accessing my home network devices when I'm outside of it. Here is a detailed description of my issue:

A few months ago, I noticed that I couldn't connect to my network devices such as a Synology NAS or BleBox roller shutters when I'm not at home. This used to be possible before, but suddenly stopped working. After trying to find the cause, checking router and NAS settings, and updating firmware, I resorted to resetting the router daily as a temporary solution. However, this is not effective as sporadic internet access outages, which cause temporary disconnection, prevent me from accessing my private network devices without resetting the router.

My router is an Asus RT-AX88U (Firmware version: 2.350 AiMesh Router: 3.0.0.4.388_22525-gd35b8fe), and my internet provider is Multimedia.

Is it possible to find a solution to this problem that allows me to have constant access to my network devices, regardless of my location? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice that can help me resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

I have a problem with accessing my home network devices when I'm outside of it. Here is a detailed description of my issue:

A few months ago, I noticed that I couldn't connect to my network devices such as a Synology NAS or BleBox roller shutters when I'm not at home. This used to be possible before, but suddenly stopped working. After trying to find the cause, checking router and NAS settings, and updating firmware, I resorted to resetting the router daily as a temporary solution. However, this is not effective as sporadic internet access outages, which cause temporary disconnection, prevent me from accessing my private network devices without resetting the router.

My router is an Asus RT-AX88U (Firmware version: 2.350 AiMesh Router: 3.0.0.4.388_22525-gd35b8fe), and my internet provider is Multimedia.

Is it possible to find a solution to this problem that allows me to have constant access to my network devices, regardless of my location? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice that can help me resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance

I use my router's VPN server for that. I am able to start devices such my NAS or my Windows Computer using WOL using this scheme.

Do you mean restart and not reset?
What VPN server are you using.?

Hi, thanks for your replies. I do not use any VPN. I see that I need to investigate this option.

However, I am still wondering why remote access to my home network devices stopped working, even though I never used VPN before.

@bbunge, yes I meant restart/reboot my router. Not resetting it. Sorry for the confusion.

A few months ago, I noticed that I couldn't connect to my network devices such as a Synology NAS or BleBox roller shutters when I'm not at home. This used to be possible before, but suddenly stopped working.
How are you remote connecting to your Synology NAS or BleBox shutters? If not using VPN what method (program, software, app, etc.) are you using? Have you checked the Synology NAS or BlueBox shutter settings themselves to see if any changes need to be made to the router to allow network traffic in to those devices? In other words do you need to setup or update port forwarding, UPnP settings or some other settings like DDNS.

Thanks! I enabled UPnP on Router. My NAS enables specific ports to establish connection outside my private network. I access NAS by DDNS hostname.
In short DDNS and port forwarding.

For BleBox shutters I use "Remote access (cloud)".

Thanks! I enabled UPnP on Router. My NAS enables specific ports to establish connection outside my private network. I access NAS by DDNS hostname.
In short DDNS and port forwarding.

For BleBox shutters I use "Remote access (cloud)".
Not a secure option. UPnP is not secure! Port forwarding is risky. Lock down your system and use a VPN. For a phone, Instant Guard is easy and works! You also have OpenVPN and Wireguard to use as VPN's. For OpenVPN make sure compression us disabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!