What's new

Problem with SAMBA / USB / RT-AC56R / authentication.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sven Golly

Occasional Visitor
BACKGROUND: I love my RT-AC56R. It works well 90% of the time. Thinking I could extend its life a bit, I installed FreshTomato on it. Bad move. Way too complicated and I found that configuring a 2nd guest network would literally remove internet access from the ethernet ports. So after going down an endless rabbithole of trying to downgrade / backgrade, I finally managed to do so by installing Asuswrt-Merlin on it. I managed to bring it all the way to 384.6.

PROBLEM: No matter what I do, I cannot get Samba to work correctly when guest access is turned OFF. It works fine with guest access ON.

I can add the user nam
explorer_ajSVEP1UoY.png
e and password just fine to the access lists. I attempt to map the network drive (ie. \\<routername>\) and browse to the folder (ie. Documents). However, when I put in the user name & password, Windows 10 gives me "Access denied". I have tried different levels of SAMBA. Set Master Browser yes/no. Simpler share naming yes/no. (Not touching Wins server). What am I doing wrong? This used to work under ASUSWRT firmware BUT I had to enable SMB 1.0. It would be nice to use the Merlin firmware since it's got Samba 2.

SYSTEM: I am running a new HP Envy, Windows 10 Home, 20H2. The drive off the router is a 2TB Seagate in a generic USB 3.0 enclosure. I am directly connected via ethernet to LAN1 port.

HELP!!

PROBLEM: No matter what I do, I cannot get Samba to work correctly when guest access is turned OFF. It works fine with guest access ON.
SOLVED:

Just circling back since I think I solved the problem. I brought the USB disk setup (enclosure & 2TB Seagate drive) back to my desktop and discovered that for each folder I had defined, the router was creating a separate partition!! Huh? It was originally formatted as MBR NTFS disk. So I don't know if Samba was seeing weirdness in the drive and went wonky or what. I can't think that's expected behavior. Anyway, I decided to start all over and reformatted the drive as EXT4 after wiping what I could with Partition Wizard. After reconnecting the drive to the router, VOILA. I could map the drive in Windows 10 AND used the second set of credentials I made for password protected R/W access.

Since I didn't duplicate the original setup of NTFS, I can't say specifically what brought back the login functionality. But it all seems to work. I'm guessing something was stored on the drive that made it a bad configuration. But not being an expert in this stuff, I really have no clue. Oh and I chose EXT4 since I've read many comments on the web saying Ext filesystems, Samba and Asus seem to be happier together than NTFS. No clue why that's true either but I always believe what I read on the Internet. ;)