What's new

Problem with Wireless MAC Filter using the RT-ASUS66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

traveldesign

New Around Here
Hi!

I bought my first wireless router and I thought I bought the best one but I'm getting inpatient with the router. It's not logical to me at all and it seems to be built for IT-Geeks only. Here is my problem.

I want to have a good security for my wireless connections and therefore I go to the menu; Advanced Settings and from there I choose Wireless MAC Filter.

I have then chosen Frequency 5ghz and MAC Filter Mode "accept".

On the MAC filter list I have added the mac address to my asus laptop.
I have saved settings and even reboot.

Now, what I understand reading the manual of the Asus RT-AC66U router this should mean that only devices added to the white list should be able to connect to my wireless network! So I try using my Lumia920 to access my network and it have no problem to access it. I use Personal-WPA2 security.

But HOW can my windows-phone use the wireless internet when I haven't added it's mac address to the white-list?

I really really don't get it! What is the point adding devices to white-list when all devices that I connect to wireless network just using the security code can enter and start to surf.

The frustration is on level 10 and I feel like smashing the whole apartment!
Please! Someone with a little bit of dignity and consideration for my well being help me. What on earth have I done wrong.. why why don't I get it?
I am not new to computers but this is really making me feel like a lamer.

MAC Filtering

Perhaps your phone is connecting using the 2.4 Ghz band?

Try setting up your white lists on both bands if you have both radios turned on.

I'm not sure how it works on the ASUS as the amount of additional security that MAC filtering provides isn't worth the problems of administering it.

Not much of a challenge to clone the MAC address of a white listed device then connect.

Hi!
I think you are right. I went to wireless settings and advanced settings then turned off the 2,4ghz and now my laptop doesn't find the WiFi-network. My Nokia Lumia920 does find the WIFI-network but it cant connect and I guess cause its mac address is not on the white-list.

My laptop is an Asus G73JW-TZ186V, and what I know it should support 5ghz wireless connection? But I guess it doesnt support 802.11 AC?..
I guess 5ghz is 802.11ac only!?

Is there a way to set my laptop to only use 5ghz?

If my laptop dont support 5ghz, what shall I buy to make it work?
I guess the ASUS USB-N66 will do the job?

Btw! Many thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

/Magnus

I don't know about forcing your computer to just use one band . .

Have you named the two frequencies with different SSIDs? Then you can at least choose which one to connect to (maybe you can anyway, but with different names it is obvious when you connect).

Some network cards lets you chose a preferred (or exclusive) band when you go to Device Manager and check the Advanced Settings of your network interface.

But I would second the suggestion of using two different SSIDs as well - best way to have full control over what connects to which band.

Fixed

Didnt even know its possible to name if after frequencies.. I have one name and it send out both frequencies or one with same name?

Anyway my Lumia was using the 2.4ghz but now I added it on 5ghz net and if goes smooth. I use mac adress on all. I do have to buy a network adapter for the laptop if I want to get higher speed. I get 32mb/down and 37mb/up.
(100/100mb connection).

I'm thinking of: Asus EA-N66 or Asus USB-N66.
Also the position of the router could be better.

But one thing.. the mounting stand on the router sucks? How did the think there? It's not stable at all or am I doing it wrong?

T hank's for all the help, my first wireless internet and I'm happy about it.
But additional security.. is it something to confider?