What's new

Problems doing fw update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FROSTY

Occasional Visitor
Should the Wi-Fi or rj45 lan connection disconnect whist doing fw update as my rt-Ac88u is losing connection every time, then resets and then starts backup at the end of the update just before it finishes.
Am I going crazy as I don’t remember this happening. As far as I remember it would reboot at the end.
Please help

Last edited:
Should the Wi-Fi or rj45 lan connection disconnect whist doing fw update as my rt-Ac88u is every time then resets and then starts backup at the end of the update?
Am I going crazy as I don’t remember this happening. As far as I remember it would reboot at the end.
Please help
You said previously that you had an RT-AX88U, not and RT-AC88U. Is this still the same problem you reported before?

Both of them seem to behave the same and both connect to the pc at 192.168.1.50 :: 192.168.50.50 when it is a fresh fw update and nothing else connected

Last edited:
What’s wrong anybody or am I to stick them both on eBay if there ok or does anyone want them for a good price

I tried several of Asus fw and most of the merlin fw’s all connected with ip to pc 192.168.50.50 and 192.168.1.50
When I update firmware I can unplug the router midway and it show ok and updated and when I let it continue it disconnects itself either around 16% or 43% on update. I’ve tried CFE mini server fw update but the same is true.
The Asus recovery disconnects the same.
Finally when I look at nvram 192.168.1.50 says it’s vpn ip on both setups.
As far as firmware they are on the latest merlin firmware 386.5

Sounds like a caching issue on the browser/device you're using then?

Don’t think so I’ve tried three laptops and mobile phones on Wi-Fi they all do the same and also I have never added scripts or vpns and the nvram says that the ip is a vpn

Try to answer ColinTaylor's questions above.

Hi Colin it’s a little hard without filming the process to show you that when doing a fw update the connection is dropped by the router, Wi-Fi is the easiest to see as midway into the update the Wi-Fi turns off which is what the lan does. L the laptops have no idea what’s happened.
I got windows and macs and they both do the same short of finding how to do a fw update via serial port direct to the board and i have no clue.
Any help for this very strange issue would be great.
I’ve tried 30-30-30 reset
Waiting up an hour to allow it to set its self up
Cfe fw update
Wi-Fi fw update
Ian fw update
Also from power off to working it takes about 5mins to boot up which it never needed before. It just sits there with the power on led for about 5mins then loads up.
Look at the nvram and settings are always saying 192.168.1.50 as an vpn and the ping time has more than doubled ever since I’ve had this problem.

I really no nothing but the basics and bits I’ve read while dealing with this. I not meaning to go on tangents but earlier I posted before the I seen the last question.

Sorry, I can't follow a lot of what you're saying.
Look at the nvram and settings are always saying 192.168.1.50 as an vpn and the ping time has more than doubled ever since I’ve had this problem.
Again, what is this VPN thing you keep talking about?

Just restarted it to have a real time to live and it takes about 15mins sits with just power led for about 10mins then Wi-Fi and usb2.0 and wps light up and then at around 14.45 mins the connection led lights up just after usb2.0 and wps leds go out. And I know it didn’t do that a few months ago

The vpn ip is from cli. Nvram show all
The vpn ip is 192.168.1.50
The ip that connects from the router to pc is always 192.168.1.50.
No settings at all except adding a login and Wi-Fi password
Also all lan and Wi-Fi IPs are after 50
Also just done a new fw install 386.5 and added the log below it shows that it’s having some issues with the files.
Also sorry about the million ntp server requests it was doing it as it has not been on line

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    442.3 KB · Views: 91
The vpn ip is from cli. Nvram show all
The vpn ip is 192.168.1.50
The ip that connects from the router to pc is always 192.168.1.50.
No settings at all except adding a login and Wi-Fi password
Also all lan and Wi-Fi IPs are after 50
Also just done a new fw install 386.5 and added the log below it shows that it’s having some issues with the files.
Also sorry about the million ntp server requests it was doing it as it has not been on line
Perhaps English is not your native language in the UK, but your sentence structure and run-on sentences are completely messing with my OCD. Please use proper sentence structure and punctuation if possible, please.

I've read through this several times, and I'm just not understanding what you're asking help for? Are you trying to upgrade 386.5? From what version? Have you considered that the PC you're running the update push from might not be working right? Have you tried using a different PC or network cable direct to the router?

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't help you because you keep changing the information or saying things that make no sense.

You originally said this problem was with an RT-AX88U but you've now changed your post to say RT-AC88U. The log file is from an RT-AC88U.

I suspect at some point you have flashed a firmware for the wrong model onto the router.

Given that it's so difficult trying to understand what you're doing or saying I suggest that you just bin these devices and buy something new.

Thanks and yes I’m English but have quite bad Dyslexia
The routers have only been updated with correct fw.
should the router disconnect the lan then reset during the fw update.
I thought that the fw loads then resets after the upload
because this is what my first concern was.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!