What's new

Problems Updating Firmware RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jnpc

New Around Here
Just got a RT-N66U. Firmware version .90. Multiple times trying (wired and wireless) to update firmware to .112 and always at 67% it stops and says "No Internet connection is detected. The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates." Have also tried the browse with firmware downloaded from ASUS and it says "Firmware upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the firmware version of firmware and try again." Is it something I am doing wrong or does it sound like a problem with the router. Please let me know if there is any other method to upgrade the firmware.

Tried Chrome, Firefox and three other computers. Still when firmware update gets to 67% it stops and I get the first listed error. No problem downloading the zip file, but when opening it I get the second error.

Try the following:

Set network adapter to static 192.168.1.2 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1

Turn off power to router with the pushbutton then turn back on while holding down the reset button

Keep holding reset until the power light starts flashing which will mean router is in recovery mode

Now launch your web browser to 192.168.1.1 and the miniweb server should come up

reset nvram to defaults in the miniweb then upload firmware in the miniweb

If successful you will now have to wait for about 3 minutes and then the router will reboot

This seems to be the constant message that I also get when attempting to update via the web configuration pages of my N66U. The update always work when using an Ethernet cabled access and the firmware update file is on my local drives.

This seems to be the constant message that I also get when attempting to update via the web configuration pages of my N66U. The update always work when using an Ethernet cabled access and the firmware update file is on my local drives.

Okay, number 1, if I'm understanding what's going on, is that firmware version .90 cannot be upgraded directly from the internet. That didn't work for the router running firmware version .90. When running the version .90 firmware, you had to download the next firmware to a computer hardwired to the router, and upgrade the router from the downloaded ".trx" file (as you have observed). So if you want to upgrade to version .112 from version .90, you will need to manually download the firmware file. If the extension on the downloaded firmware file is ".zip" (a compressed archive file containing the firmware file), you'll need to extract (uncompress) this via right-clicking on the ".zip" archive and use the "Extract all..." choice. That will extract the ".trx" firmware file from the ".zip" archive. Then you can point the router at the ".trx" file to upgrade your firmware.

Number 2, you should always upgrade firmware using a computer with a hardwired connection to the router, in my experience. Don't use a WiFi connection to do that. I'm not sure whether you're using a WiFi connection, but you shouldn't do that.

Once you have upgraded your router to the .112 firmware version, then you should be able to upgrade to the next version off the Asus download site when it is put there, but not until then.

I hope that this helps, and doesn't create more confusion.

By the way, I never upgrade firmware directly from the internet in any case. I want to be sure that the firmware is successfully downloaded into a stable place, such as my local disk on a computer with a hard-wired connection to the router, before starting a firmware upgrade. I even feel better about it if I can checksum the downloaded firmware, but that depends on the manufacturer including the firmware file checksum and this is unfortunately seldom done for consumer routers.

It isn't worth it to me for the convenience of not explicitly downloading...I want to know exactly what firmware file I'm upgrading to, and I want the process to be as stable as possible. No worse way to waste time than a failed upgrade, or upgrading to the wrong firmware version, and having to recover from that. I want to be in as much control of the firmware upgrade process as possible, personally.

As they say, your mileage may vary *smile*.

Okay, number 1, if I'm understanding what's going on, is that firmware version .90 cannot be upgraded directly from the internet. That didn't work for the router running firmware version .90. When running the version .90 firmware, you had to download the next firmware to a computer hardwired to the router, and upgrade the router from the downloaded ".trx" file (as you have observed). So if you want to upgrade to version .112 from version .90, you will need to manually download the firmware file. If the extension on the downloaded firmware file is ".zip" (a compressed archive file containing the firmware file), you'll need to extract (uncompress) this via right-clicking on the ".zip" archive and use the "Extract all..." choice. That will extract the ".trx" firmware file from the ".zip" archive. Then you can point the router at the ".trx" file to upgrade your firmware.

Number 2, you should always upgrade firmware using a computer with a hardwired connection to the router, in my experience. Don't use a WiFi connection to do that. I'm not sure whether you're using a WiFi connection, but you shouldn't do that.

Once you have upgraded your router to the .112 firmware version, then you should be able to upgrade to the next version off the Asus download site when it is put there, but not until then.

I hope that this helps, and doesn't create more confusion.

I have done all the above,extracted the .trx,then it goes to firmware upgrade complete,however the firmware version is still reading as .90 and also did a reboot after to make the firmware take effect but it is still at .90,
any help would be gratefull as this is a bit strange...Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!