What's new

Problems with Asus RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JakeJ

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I bought the Asus RT-AX58U about a week ago and wanted to see the average throughput that I could get using a TP-Link AX3000 pcie wifi adapter. The download speed fluctuates a lot and while it does go to about 900Mbps for a few seconds, most of the time sits at under 100Mbps, which is ridiculous. I tried to find out whether there are some bottlenecks and installed the wifi adapter on another computer and the results were worse. The only time when the throughput was nice and stable was when I ran the throughput test using a new laptop with an integrated adapter. For this reason I started wondering if the problem may be the desktop computers, since both have only pcie express 2.0 slots, so could this be the problem? The TP-Link adapter isn't the problem because I tried the same with another Asus wifi adapter (AC68) and the results were similar. Looking forward to any suggestions.

OK, the bandwidth for a PCI Express slot is 2.5Gbps on a single direction, so this can't be the problem, right? My motherboard is not really that new (it's a close to 9 years old Asrock Fatal1ty P67), but I'm starting to think that the problem may actually be the router (although the fact that it went so smoothly with the Intel adapter from the laptop still makes me wonder).

I would be leaning to the adaptor and/or it's drivers as the core issue. :)

I would be leaning to the adaptor and/or it's drivers as the core issue. :)
I'm not sure since it happened with three different adapters: TP-Link AX3000, Asus PCE-AC88 and Asus PCE-AC68. I got the best results with TP-Link, but still some weird fluctuations.

Then I would suspect the motherboard and/or os installation. :)

If the laptop (AX200 or AX201) adaptor works as expected, it can't be the router, per se. :)

Then I would suspect the motherboard and/or os installation. :)

If the laptop (AX200 or AX201) adaptor works as expected, it can't be the router, per se. :)
The laptop's adapter is not AX, it's a 802.11ac Intel, but yes, no problems with it. I also suspect the motherboard to a certain degree, since it's also old, but I did try the same test on a somewhat newer system (both systems had only PCIE 2.0 available) and I got the same results. I'm trying to find the bottleneck, but it's incredibly weird.

Hi. I bought the Asus RT-AX58U about a week ago and wanted to see the average throughput that I could get using a TP-Link AX3000 pcie wifi adapter. The download speed fluctuates a lot and while it does go to about 900Mbps for a few seconds, most of the time sits at under 100Mbps, which is ridiculous. I tried to find out whether there are some bottlenecks and installed the wifi adapter on another computer and the results were worse. The only time when the throughput was nice and stable was when I ran the throughput test using a new laptop with an integrated adapter. For this reason I started wondering if the problem may be the desktop computers, since both have only pcie express 2.0 slots, so could this be the problem? The TP-Link adapter isn't the problem because I tried the same with another Asus wifi adapter (AC68) and the results were similar. Looking forward to any suggestions.

I wonder if the issue is similar to the one barely noted in the Conclusion of this review: https://www.mbreviews.com/asus-rt-ax58u-review/2/

OE