What's new

Problems with my RT-AC3100 Router...I have tried everything I can think of.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NES

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I recently finished my movie/game room in my basement, so I decided to replace my 5 year old modem and router with something new and fresh. After some research (and opinions given to me by my friends), I opted for the ARRIS Surfboard Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem (SB6190) and the Asus RT-AC3100 router.

Everything worked great for the first couple weeks, and then all of a sudden all of the devices would recognize the network, but give us the message "no internet access". We figured out rather quickly that this was due to us not registering the devices with Comcast (my ISP); so, we did that and everything was well....

....at least for another week. All of a sudden all of my devices were kicked off of the 2.4gz network, and I could not get that back on (PS3, laptop, LG OLED tv, etc.). However, I was able to get my phone connected to the 5G network. My network name would still show up when searched under any of my devices, but would not connect.

Last night I sat down to try to solve the problem. I research possible causes, and went from there. First I tried a reboot via my routers web interface. This did nothing. Then I tried to turn on the "Smart Connect" features. This allowed my phones to still connect, but made the 2.4g network disappear from the "network list" on all my other devices. So, now not only no connection, but it wasn't even showing up anymore.

Next I turned off the Smart Connect feature and noticed that my 2.4g network was on channel "0". So, I changed it to channel 1, and then 3, but to no avail.

Next, I reset the modem. Nope, that didn't work either.

As of now, I am at my wits end. All of the lights on my modem and my router are lit up accordingly; I don't have any flashing or solid red lights or pink lights, just the normal white lights. I called Comcast and they said everything looked good on their end (devices registered properly, no outages, etc.) and that I might want to try contacting ASUS.

That is next on my list, but I thought I would do a last ditch effort of asking here to see if anyone has any other ideas. As of now, I have my router set up to normal (no Smart Connect) and have the 2.4g on channel 1 with 40 mg selected (I have tried the 20/40 as well). None of my devices are recognizing the 2.4g network at all (it doesn't appear on the network list), but I am able to connect all cellphones in the house on the 5g network.

Note: I live in the Midwest, so we have been dealing with an obscene amount of storms. The other say out power kept surging, and eventually went out for over 10 hrs. All of my electronics seem fine, and we called Comcast to verify everything on their end. We have had storms a couple of times, and I did already have to replace my RT-AC3100 once a couple of weeks ago. All of the above problems have surfaced since I exchanged my broken one out for a new one. I did make sure to re-register the new one with Comcast as well.

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. I tried everything, clean install the works. I finally took it back to bestbuy and got a new one. I always buy the extended warrinty.

Try to do a fresh install of FW, try FW 7743. I have no issues with this asus fw, also you can try merlin's fw?

good luck man.

Not saying its your issue but the 6190 is no good it has the Puma 6 chipset and has all kinds of issues just google it. In fact Arris is being sued over this modem as we speak.

Hey guys,

I recently finished my movie/game room in my basement, so I decided to replace my 5 year old modem and router with something new and fresh. After some research (and opinions given to me by my friends), I opted for the ARRIS Surfboard Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem (SB6190) and the Asus RT-AC3100 router.

Absolutely. Get rid of the 6190. Whether or not it's adding to your problem, the modem itself is a problem. Replace it with one of these if you're looking for cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01621M1S4/?tag=snbforums-20 (24x8 modem)

Or if you can go all out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0723599RQ/?tag=snbforums-20 (32x8 + Docsis 3.1 modem)

Also see here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31134484-

Avoid buying any of the models listed in these 2 topics like the plague. They are all based on the Puma 6 chip and all have same issues

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!