What's new

[Project] build a wireless link for a camera-car

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GiovanniG

New Around Here
Hi to all! Thank you for attention,
we live in a time where different technologies let us achiving the goal, so I suppose is petter asking who has more experience then me, instead of knowing later that existed a better technology, so I hope to receive some suggestions from you.

I'm serving an indoor karting circuit, I would suggest my client to install one camera on one helmet and show live the video in the guest room..
Considering the perimeter is iron made (reflective), that the farest point is about 70 meters away (but if receiver will be located in the middle of track 35 meters), considering that I would avoid expensive solutions like "sport cams", which usualli output an HDMI and that doesn't let the many advantages of using a IP network..

What you would suggest me as hardware, and maybe "sofware" (related to protocols of broadcasting, rtsp, OnVIF, etc. Which is the more suitable for a moving object).

I guess most of the answer will come from mobile telephony researches, for example the video calling over UMTS had absolutely considered the unstable quality connections, as well as Skype, using adaptive bitrate or enhanced compression systems.

On other side the cheapest way would be use a really good Wi-Fi hotspot in the middle of the track, with probably 7dBi antennas and diversity, a good trasmitting router on the go-kart (or helmet).. if there exist one with a signal amplifer (going eventyally out of standards), and choosing some streaming good solutions to overcome possible lags.
The target bitrate may be around 2 megabits, if there is a way to have them stable bingo!
Thank you a lot!

How about a cheap smartphone strapped to the helmet / kart and Periscope? Make sure the smartphone will send traffic over Wi-Fi if it's available.

Thanks for reply, a smartphone will never stream a good signal by wi-fi while moving at distance of 35 meters.
Let's focus on something more professional, I'm going to use a WiFi camera who is supporting UDP RTSP (100$), a wi fi amplifer (4W) with a good antenna(30$), a router with good antennas and diversity (20$).

In your opinion how many chances of success I have? Does it worth to invest those money for a try?

I'd go with an analog camera connected to an analog video transmitter. These have good range, are plentiful and inexpensive. Far easier than digital + protocols + apps and all that rot. At the receiving end, you have analog to connect to any TV/monitor or to a USB video digitizer to get it into a PC and from there to infinity.
Try the products on http://www.supercircuits.com

That's a suggestion! I appreciated it.
I just would know if anybody had tried a "moving cam" using wi fi 802.11n, is that so unstable? Thank you

That's a suggestion! I appreciated it.
I just would know if anybody had tried a "moving cam" using wi fi 802.11n, is that so unstable? Thank you
WiFi won't get you 100m with no picture glitches and some non-line-of-sight that you seek.

FWIW - doing a karting session a while back (Kart's are fun!!!!!)...

They had 900MHz analog links to a CCTV box...

Not super high resolution (e.g. F1 level from in-car) but it was good enough - and 900MHz had a lot of range...

Thank you again! Please notice I place the antenna in the middle of the circuit and the maximum distance will be approx 30 meters.
As I would try to connect 4 camera-car, (supposing it will work) a wi-fi network will be better, cause analog system needs to transmit in 4 different frequencies.

PS: I see an analog trasmitter at the site you suggested me for about $299.99, is the model you consider cheap? For me it isn't.. comparing to wi-fi, but of course if it is the only solution I'll think about

search youtube, see videos of how quadcopter guys downlink live video (analog) to use in displays and video goggles.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!